Confusion of verb Should

flower   Monday, May 03, 2004, 12:33 GMT
I'm totally confused with this verb.Could somebody tell me where I must use the verb should and what does it means in real words. I always thought that it means somthing like "have to" but it is more polit, more softy, m ore advisable.But I have seen i many english text that it is somethin like "would"but it is used only in firts persons.
Please who can give me some examples of well understanding this verb.
THANKS!
Adam   Monday, May 03, 2004, 12:56 GMT
According to my dictionary, it is "Used to show certain moods." Or it means "Ought."
Chilli   Monday, May 03, 2004, 16:34 GMT
'Should' is a modal auxilliary verb, like 'would' and 'could'. It helps another verb and signifies the degree of likelihood of the verb occurring or not. For example:

"I should finish my homework" means that the homework is something that needs to be done, but I may not necessarily do it. Another example is:

"Your should always throw rubbish in the bin." It is (in England) a law but of course, you can flout it and pay the penalty instead, if you like.

"I would finish my homework..." means that the finishing of the homework would happen on the proviso that something else does or does not occur.

"I could finish my homework" means that the finishing of the homework is capable of happening, and I am the one who is capable of making it be done, but again does not mean that I will.

Does that help at all?
flower   Tuesday, May 04, 2004, 08:10 GMT
Thanks Chilli
Simon   Tuesday, May 04, 2004, 08:42 GMT
Tex   Tuesday, May 04, 2004, 16:29 GMT
If we didn't agree on the nuances of meaning among MUST, MAY and SHOULD, the Internet wouldn't work!

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt