Truely, is it possible to speak english as well as a native ?

vincent   Wednesday, May 19, 2004, 13:51 GMT
that's my question.I think personnaly it's quite impossible.
What do ya think about it?
Axel   Wednesday, May 19, 2004, 14:12 GMT
Well I don't think so. I have a friend who speaks perfectly English... she just have a little French accent but it seems it tends to disappear day after day.
Ryan   Wednesday, May 19, 2004, 15:39 GMT
One of the things that I noticed that isn't talked about in the Antimoon guides to learning English is the fact that English is a stress language, while most East Asian languages are either pitch accent or tonal languages. Most Asian speakers I've listened to have not picked up on the idea of a "stress language," where some syllables are always said more forcefully than others. On the other hand, I have problem with proper pitch accent when speaking Japanese, so it goes both ways. But I think this is the main reason why people from East Asia who have really good English pronunciation still sound kind of funny.
Ben   Wednesday, May 19, 2004, 16:41 GMT
Yeah, stress is sort of a hard concept to explain unless you've been doing it your whole life. "It's like you say the word more forcefully, not really louder, but um ..."
mjd   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 05:38 GMT
Vincent,

How have you gone about learning English? What methods have you used?
vincent   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 10:06 GMT
I learnt english at school (i began when I was 10 years old) like everybody.I don't have any difficulties to understand a text or the news on tv (but i cannot understand a US film).I don't use methods, I simply read and try to write in english in this forum.Actually I'm student of spanish philology so I practice much more spanish (everyday) than other languages.I think if I had english-speaking locutors with me I could improve greatly my skills as I did with spanish (some spaniards think I am Spaniard too).Well, I've got the answer: I must find some english or US tourist walking near Notre-Dame or La Tour Eiffel to speak english with...
Chilli   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 15:27 GMT
Vincent, you sound like you're doing very well already. You wouldn't pass for a native but you speak better English than some British people I know. Keep it up.
Oliveira   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 17:32 GMT
As I was reading the replies to Vincent's questions, I got really interested in knowing how my English sounds.
I often talk to my American friends in the Internet and some of them said that I can write a much better English than a lot of native speakers in the USA.
I know it's very difficult to assess someone's skills concerning to the ability of speaking as well as a native, but I'd like to know your opinion about the few words I wrote here.
By the way, I've been learning English for almost two years. I've never been abroad but I plan visiting the US at the end of this year.
Actually I learned English mostly on my own not at a school.
If you guys can take a look at my writing and tell me where I've got more difficulty, I'd be most greateful.

(Any mistakes, let me know)
vincent   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 18:03 GMT
to Chilli,
Thanks for your answer, it's very kind but i cannot believe you: How is it possible that i speak better English than some British people? The native locutors will always speak better than someone who learnt the language as second language, won't they?

By the way, "Chilli" means that you're Chilean?
Beata   Thursday, May 20, 2004, 21:54 GMT
to Oliveira,

Is it possible to write such a good English after only two years of learning it???
I've been learning English for 12 years (...) and can't use it so easily as you seem to do. Maybe you are living in an English speaking country now and that's why you have such easiness at writing in English?
Could you please write something about your way of learning that language ?
Beata   Friday, May 21, 2004, 10:11 GMT
to Oliveira once again,

Sorry for this "English speaking country". I just didn't notice that you wrote that you were planning to go there this year. So, in this case I even repeat my question to you: "How can youy manage to write such a good English if you DON'T live in a country where most speak English?"

Waiting for reply
Sue   Monday, May 24, 2004, 04:41 GMT
It certainly is!!
I know a lady who was raised & educated in Turkey. She went to America to study english & now she is back in Turkey & speaks PERFECT English - with no foreign accent - u would think she was American... Truly!!
So there is hope - I believe that you have to actually study the accent as well as the actual language...

Good luck to all you English student!!!
Simon   Monday, May 24, 2004, 06:21 GMT
Peter Schmeichel speaks brilliant English, like a native.
Damian   Monday, May 24, 2004, 10:49 GMT
Oh dear! I am going to be boringly pedantic here...for "truely" please read "truly"! LOL
Damian   Monday, May 24, 2004, 10:54 GMT
I am a Scots guy at uni in England and have met other students from countries all over the world and I can honestly say that many of them speak English better than do most of we natives! That includes Americans as well.....sometimes! :-) Cheers!