iceberg ahead !

romain   Thursday, May 27, 2004, 07:52 GMT
Good morning (09:47 in paris),

as a frenchman, I did my best to 'express' good and interesting questions. I would like an issue I have to be enlighted by english spirits : I am about to use the sentence "viewing ahead", in a "rough" way, as a title.

My first question is : does "viewing ahead" mean, in a direct meaning, 'looking further', and in a metaphoric interpretation, 'viewing the future' ?

I have the feeling that 'viewing ahead' sounds very much like the utmost famous 'iceberg ahead !'. According to you, whose heart-tongue is english, am I wrong ?

My third question is (a bit harder) : what is the best expression for saying at the same time 'looking further' in a direct meaning and 'watching the future' (but not foresseing) in a metaphoric meaning ?

Thank you very much for your answers,
BEST regards.

Romain
Mighty Mick   Thursday, May 27, 2004, 08:18 GMT
Yes, "Viewing what's ahead" or "viewing what's up ahead" can mean either the figurative sense of foreseeing, or physically seeing what's coming up in front of us. It all depends on the context of course.

"Looking further ahead" is the same thing as far as I'm concerned but can add the extra measure with "further".
mjd   Thursday, May 27, 2004, 08:29 GMT
1) "Viewing ahead" is a rather awkward phrase. If you want to say that someone is focused on his/her future, you could say "he/she was thinking ahead" or if they had a vision of the future you could say "he/she foresaw."

2) If I were on a ship in chilly waters, then I could picture someone saying "iceberg ahead!" This is an exclamation similar to "land ho!" (a famous saying among sailors of yesteryear). These type of exclamations aren't very common in our daily lives. It's more likely that someone would say "there is an iceberg up ahead."

3) I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I'm guessing your question relates to distance. Here are sample sentences:

"John's glasses allowed him to see further than he could before he got them."

"With binoculars one can see the villages that lie beyond the hills."

I hope these have helped you in some way. If not, try rewording your questions and I'll try again.
mjd   Thursday, May 27, 2004, 08:33 GMT
Mick said: 'Yes, "Viewing what's ahead" or "viewing what's up ahead" can mean either the figurative sense of foreseeing, or physically seeing what's coming up in front of us. It all depends on the context of course.'

This is true. When I said "view ahead" is an awkward phrase, I just meant no one says "he/she is viewing ahead." One says "he/she is looking ahead."
romain   Thursday, May 27, 2004, 08:50 GMT
Thank you for your quick responses, you smart people !

OK for "looking further ahead". This could sound great for a title. I understand "viewing ahead" is quite awkaward. My beliefs about expressions to be shouted made me choose this solution as it could sound like : " [noun] ahead !"... just like "cat ahead !" (ehm) or "land ho!" as you meant it, mjd. The viewing is a noun, and the two words we're talking about in this topic could have meant
"there is a viewing ahead"
or
"there is a place over there, where a viewing session is happening"
or
"I have the possibility to view things in this place over there" (so, let's go to this place !)

Let's try to explain my third question... in mjd's "thinking ahead" appears the notion of future and the notion of movement from today to tomorrow, but no word refers to the sense of view. in "looking further", there is a notion of view, but nothing refers to the movement towards future. Is there an expression that combines the notion of "seeing further" and "going further in the future and the possibilities" ?

Attempts, thanks to your help :
"looking further ahead"
"looking ahead"
"looking farther"
"viewing further ahead"
"towards watching further" (...starts being ridiculous)

Thanks for your help
Romain
in
paris