don't you americans think you tend to speak too fast ?

kim   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 09:34 GMT
while watching TV such as news programs, sitcoms, I came up with the thought that the younger the speakers are, the faster the speed is.
do you really speaks that fast in your normal life, not on TV?
is that speed just normal to you?
why do you have the tendancy of fast-speaking.

when english is spoken slower(as the old do), I find it's very comfortable, soft to hear.. like songs..
Ryan   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 17:50 GMT
American high school and college females have an incredible tendency to talk fast. When I was in the UK, I could understand what British girls were saying much more than I can understand what American girls are saying sometimes, and I am American.

I think British and American men talk about the same speed, though. I talk pretty slowly myself and nobody in the UK ever asked me to repeat myself when I was there visiting.
Emmanuel   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 21:21 GMT
In some languages that you could understand, you don't care when somebody speaks fast, because anyway you could understand or have a clue about that. But you know that English is a tough language phonetically.

Some people like you don't understand English. Go to ESOL and don't pretend to be a native speaker of English.
Damian   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 22:25 GMT
Ryan: you are so, so right about American girls speaking so fast! I said just that myself in another post a short while back.

I met American girls for the first time in my life (apart from seeing them as tourists back home in Edinburgh Scotland) here at uni in England and all of them speak so fast and gabble their words and it's so hard to understand them. I just lose interest. I'm afraid I don't go wild for their accents either. They look so cute a lot of them, but the accents and the speed and gabble are something else. I don't have trouble understanding the guys. Can you explain this, as you are an American.
Juan   Tuesday, June 08, 2004, 23:24 GMT
They are very excitable people those young US American girls. And very prety too ;-)
Ryan   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 00:11 GMT
I don't understand why young American women talk so quickly myself. The way that female characters talk in American movies and television is much slower than how real life American girls talk, although you'll occasionally hear Rachel crank up her speech a notch on Friends sometimes. And when they are talking to men, women usually slow down their the speed of their talk compared to when they are talking to each other.

Usually the more "popular" a girl is, the faster she talks. Girls from large cities and their suburbs usually talk faster as well. I know plenty of American women who don't talk fast, though, so it's definitely not a universal thing.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 00:50 GMT
Damian says "...all of them speak so fast and gabble their words and it's so hard to understand them. I just lose interest. I'm afraid I don't go wild for their accents either. They look so cute a lot of them, but the accents and the speed and gabble are something else."

That is amazing!
Paul M   Wednesday, June 09, 2004, 03:39 GMT
I think ..girls tend to speak faster and (better usually) in any language.
I watched Jerry Springer yesterday (for an amusement value) and boy.. when they fight, I couldn't catch a word of what they are saying :o

I haven't seen too many American girls so I can't comment on their looks.. :)