Accent stereotypes?

patsd   Friday, June 11, 2004, 05:35 GMT
<<<There is no basis. Like all stereotypes, the Brummie stereotype bears no relation to the reality whatsoever.>>

Well, all stereotypes are based in at least an indication of an idea and that then gets blown out of porportion. People don't come up with stereotypes at random, there is a basis for them.

For example, people like to stereotype lower class accent speakers as being stupid. The basis for this that gets blown out of porportion and misused is that if they are using poor grammar they must be stupid. That is narrow-minded of course, but thats not the point.
Konrad Valentin   Friday, June 11, 2004, 07:07 GMT
I disagree. Stereotypes rarely have any basis in reality. If you think that linguistic stereotypes have some basis in reality, then you must also be prepared to say that racial stereotypes have some basis in reality. I don't think you'd be prepared to go there, would you?

There is no such thing as 'poor grammar', by the way. I think you are referring to non-standard grammar. This is not 'poor'. It is different to standard grammar, but not sub-standard.
patsd   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 08:33 GMT
<<I disagree. Stereotypes rarely have any basis in reality.>>

Im just going to say this one more time, and if you dont agree with me, thats ok. People dont just make stereotypes up at random....they are based on some preception from experieces or ideas that get blown out of proportion and are used incorrectly to draw a conclusion about a particular social group. If anyone wants to believe that stereotypes are just assigned to people at random, for no particular reason whatsoever, that is fine.

<<If you think that linguistic stereotypes have some basis in reality, then you must also be prepared to say that racial stereotypes have some basis in reality. I don't think you'd be prepared to go there, would you?>>>>

Why would I have any qualms about that? Its the same concept. I made it clear that the basis for stereotypes is the preception of what people may think is the reality, thats not the same thing as being based in reality--probably many stereotypes are not based on any amount of actual reality. Perhaps you misundestood me?
Konrad Valentin   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 10:14 GMT
Perhaps you're not very good at explaining yourself. Perhaps you would like to give us all an example of racial stereotypes "based on some preception from experieces"???
patsd   Monday, June 14, 2004, 03:36 GMT
<<Perhaps you would like to give us all an example of racial stereotypes "based on some preception from experieces"???>>

Ok here is an example.In the US black people were/are often stereotyped as being stupid. The reality is that a disporportionate number of them are raised by lower-income single mothers, and therefore they live in poorer neighborhoods with poorly run schools etc. People take this socio-economic reality and make an inappropirate correlation with intellegence.
Vic   Monday, June 14, 2004, 16:33 GMT
I think that's a bit unfair. How on earth can you say that black people are stupid, they are certainly no more stupid than the rest of us. Skin colour does not affect your intelligence.
Konrad Valentin   Monday, June 14, 2004, 19:26 GMT
patsd,

Re: "Ok here is an example.In the US black people were/are often stereotyped as being stupid. The reality is that a disporportionate number of them are raised by lower-income single mothers, and therefore they live in poorer neighborhoods with poorly run schools etc. People take this socio-economic reality and make an inappropirate correlation with intellegence."

I'm afraid that this is a rather inadequate example that doesn't stand up to serious scrutiny. You appear to be making the mistake of equating education with intelligence. They are not the same. Some of the most highly educated people I have ever met, for example, have also been the most stupid. So, aren't you also making an "inappropirate correlation"? The fact is that there never was a grain of truth to the stereotype of the unintelligent black person.
patsd   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 07:42 GMT
<<<IThey are not the same. Some of the most highly educated people I have ever met, for example, have also been the most stupid. So, aren't you also making an "inappropirate correlation"? The fact is that there never was a grain of truth to the stereotype of the unintelligent black person. >>

Yes, thats my point. I do not think this way, I am explaining the mistake people make when they stereotype. It is most certinatly true that there is a difference between ones socio-economic status and their intelligence.
patsd   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 07:43 GMT
<<I think that's a bit unfair. How on earth can you say that black people are stupid, they are certainly no more stupid than the rest of us. Skin colour does not affect your intelligence>>

It would appear that you havn't been following the conversation. I wasn't epxressing my view on that subject, I was explaining how and why people stereotype and used that as an example. I don't appriciate you taking things out of context in that fashion.
Kunta Kintae   Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 14:58 GMT
I's be really stupid cus I's be black and listen to rap music, my mammy is on welfare and I's don't really know who my pappy is. Could any of you all please give me some money so's I's can buy me a rib dinner.