Is it I or me? I say, 'it is I, not it is me.

Hound   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 03:54 GMT
How do you say your standard English?
Might Mick   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 04:10 GMT
It might not be correct but I usually say "it's me" as do most people as far as I can tell.
Hound   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 04:51 GMT
Because some people will tell you, say 'it's me', not 'it's I.' When these people get a grammar book, they learn English.
Might Mick   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 05:01 GMT
"it's me" is just a part of popular speech since "it is I" sounds pompous.
As the language evolves, I imagine "our language" will eventually be accepted as being correct by the "experts".
Paco   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 05:05 GMT
The Beatles opened a U.S.A market speaking almost like the Americans. With Americanism, regionalism, or slang. Yah yah. "But she don't care."
Might Mick   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 05:30 GMT
It may have come out of British slang. Slang has been just as rampant in Britain as it has been in the US.
Hound   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 05:34 GMT
A rampant slang is so aggressive, at least they were the best singers in the 60's.
Might Mick   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 05:38 GMT
Rampant meaning widespread. It exists everywhere.
Damian   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 11:27 GMT
Whether it's grammatically incorrect or not, I like most people, I would yell out "It's me!" To say "It is I" sounds odd and pretentious, and sounds like something out of a Jane Austen novel.

What definitely is wrong is when people misuse the personal pronoun "me" instead of I in phrases like "me and my girlfriend went clubbing last night". That is used so much in the UK.

Another interesting point is the American use of the word in a phrase like "I am going to get me a cup of coffee now". You would never hear that in the UK even though I suppose there is nothing wrong with it grammatically.
Might Mick   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 12:18 GMT
LOL Damian, I sometimes use the kind of wording! "I am going to get me a cup of coffee now"
Harrow English School   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 18:32 GMT
We urge "Hound", "Might Mick" and "Damian" to acquaint thenselves with the two words:

COLLOQUIAL
and
VERNACULAR.

Learn what these words mean and use them as often as you can when writing to each other.

Those two words and their derivatives will be most useful in understanding why and when we sometimes "sound wrong" if
we SAY a word in conversation which
we KNOW is correct when we write it.

And vice versa.

HES
Damian   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 21:31 GMT
hmmmmm
Might Mick   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 01:58 GMT
Gee, they look awfully familiar. Don't worry, I'm not really in awe when I witness PEDANTRY.

There are two more words of greater signifance we feel everyone should know instinctively. They're a little more abstract but we prompt "HES" to practice only the first one here.

AMIABLENESS
and
POMPOUS
Dulcinea del Toboso   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 01:58 GMT
Damian, there's another "overcorrection" that people also use. Having had it drilled into their heads that "Bobby and me want to go to the movies" is incorrect ("Say 'Bobby and I', Dulcinea"), they start to use "...and I" everywhere, such as:

"The Simpsons have invited you and I to the wedding"
Monkey   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 03:36 GMT
It is me. (incorrect but more used)

It is I. (correct but less used)

WHAT TYPE OF LANGUAGE IS THIS?