celsius degree

sinja   Friday, June 18, 2004, 02:26 GMT
When you read "125 C" (temperature), is it "125 celsius degree" only? Any other options? Is just reading the letter OK??
Orion   Friday, June 18, 2004, 02:36 GMT
As a scientist in America, I often have said, "125 degrees C". However, we're probably a bit different, since we'd understand just "125 degrees" to be degrees Fahrenheit.

You could also say "125 degrees centigrade", but I believe that is frowned upon these days.

(Let's please keep on topic and not start the whole Celcius/Fahrenheit debate. I grew up with Fahrenheit and am most comfortable with it in everyday use. In terms of science/engineering, I'll happily take the metric system any day.)
Jim   Friday, June 18, 2004, 02:43 GMT
It's "degrees Celsius" not "Celsius degrees" (also not the capitalisation because it's from someone's name). Another option would be "degrees centigrade".

In Australia you'd normally just say "degrees" (if the context was enough to show that you're talking about temperature). In North America it's common to simply say "Celsius" (or "centigrade" I suppose): in the USA "degrees" would be taken to mean "degrees Fahrenheit". Another abbrieviation used in North America would be "degrees C".

You could also just say "C" & be understood if the context made things clear but I wouldn't say it's common.
Damian   Friday, June 18, 2004, 07:45 GMT
Normally in the UK in everyday casual speech we never say Celsius as it is assumed that is what is meant. Just heard the weather forecast on the TV now and today it will be just Nineteen degrees. What a shame...last weekend it was Twenty eight but there you go. I think they only say "Twenty eight Celsius" if it's an official scientific discussion or something. Fahrenheit is never used here. It used to be I think, so maybe older people may use it but I don't hear it used at all to be honest.

So, it will be cool and breezy in the UK today with northerly winds and showers or thunderstorms in the north and east with temperatures only reaching Nineteen degrees maximum. So there! :-)
Jim   Friday, June 18, 2004, 07:58 GMT
It seems that Fahrenheit is only used in the USA.
Vic   Saturday, June 19, 2004, 12:45 GMT
My parents use Fahrenheit, but I think it is because they are of the older generation like Damian said. I use Celsius.