What is the official language of the European Union?

Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, July 27, 2004, 12:31 GMT
Hello

Re: "le": You missed my point about pronunciation and spelling. ie. the same word in both languages, but different sounding. It's like comparing the pronunciation of "loyal" in French and English; spelt the same in both languages but pronounced very differently. ie. "lwayal" vs "loi'l"

Re: peoples and cultures: Franks like Jutes, Angles and Saxons were another Germanic tribe - nothing to do with the Romans or Celts and their cultures were different. Gallo-roman is just a term describing the romanised culture of Gaul; the Gallo-romans they were not a Germanic tribe.

The Celts from the continent fled their conquerors to the British isles - that's the rapport. I was comparing the Celts of the British Isles today with those from the continent. ie. I wrote Gaul, Gael, Galway; I think there's an etymological connection.

"What is it , qu'est ce que c'est, of course bien sur, je lis un livre de philosophie i am reading a philosophy book, ok on se retrouve à cinq heures pour manger un morceau et puis on ira ai cinema, ok let see us at five, we will eat something and go to cinema.
Do you seriously think?"

Not in that case and it'd be almost the same comparing Italian and French with their respective inflectional properties. But the more Latin vocabulary used in English, the easier it is for a Francophone to understand. However, the spoken language, pronunciation and inflections draw all 3 languages far apart.
nic   Tuesday, July 27, 2004, 13:39 GMT
no it's not

the best meaning of culture is when someone suffer : ouch, aïe, aia
Ceaser   Tuesday, July 27, 2004, 19:36 GMT
I am terribly sorry that I cannot spell. I never could, yet I should be disgusted at how I spell our own capital, Edinburgh! I have, once again as well, mixed up universities. If my memory serves me correctly the third time around, I believe that there is celtic department of the university of Glasgow, yet, Gaelic courses and I think degree programmes are offered at the University of Edinburgh. I should get my facts straight before I write. Umm, yes, I agree that too much credit is given towards the Gaels of Caoe Breton Nova Scotia. Gaelic is still spoken though, and there are still children who speak the language as well, but are educated in English. Scottish children have the advantage of the new Gaelic medium education, I myself go to a Gaelic medium secondary school. Gaelic and it's sister Irish are very expressive and very traditional languages which are now being brought up into the modern world.

Currently, I am privately working on a Gaelic-Immersion website, entirely in Gaelic for those who wish to develop fluency in Gaelic in a short matter of time. Instead of using English-Gaelic dictionaries and lists to introduce vocabulary and grammar, I am using images instead. All instructions are given in Gaelic, which forces the mind to think in Gaelic rather than english or their mother tongue. The first part of the website introduces the alphabet with audio files and examples for the person to develop correct pronunciation as well. It is Gaelic the 21st century way! Children who are born speaking english and attend Gaelic medium schools learn this way without any english aid.

My second project is Irish Gaelic as well, I already can speak it fluenty, yet I do not have the accent symbol on my keyboard for Irish Gaelic, but only for Scottish Gaelic (the grave accent). I do not believe that Gaelic is a bottled dream so long as there are people like me to strive to promote and keep Gaidhlig living. If Ireland didn't have people like that, Irish would never have thrived and come this far. The same can be done for Gaelic. My only wish is to share apart of me with someone else, through the Gaidhlig medium!

Tapeadh leabh agus Go raibh maith agut,
Slan.
Ceaser... odd error!   Tuesday, July 27, 2004, 19:38 GMT
bottled dream or pipe dream***
Ariela   Wednesday, July 28, 2004, 08:30 GMT
"All Romance language linguists will confirm than French has evolved more than the rest.."

Word comparisons

LATIN / OCCITAN / CATALAN / SPANISH / PORTUGUESE / ITALIAN / FRENCH
auriculam / aurelha / orella / oreja / orelha / orecchio / oreille
caballum / caval / cavall / caballo / cavalo / cavallo / chèval
capra / cabra / cabra / cabra / cabra, bode / capra / chèvre
catena / cadena / cadena / cadena / corrente / catena / chaine
directum, dreitum / dreit / dret / derecho / direito / diritto / droit
excadentia / escasença / ? / vencimiento? / prazo? / scadenza / échéance
fides / fe / fe / fe / fé / fede / foi
filia / filha / filla / hija / filha / figlia / fille
floris, florem / flor / flor / flor / flor / fiore / fleur
lac, lacte, lactis / lach, lèit / llete / leche / leite / latte / lait
luna / luna / lluna / luna / lua / luna / lune
mare / mar / mar / mar / mar / mare / mer
maturus / madur / madur / maduro / maduro / maturo / mûr
mel, mellis / mel / mel / mile / mel / miele / miel
nasus, nasum / nas / nas / nariz / nariz / naso / nez
nox, noctis / nuòch, nuèch, nuèit / nit / noche / noite / notte / nuit
peram, pirum / pera / pera / pera / pêra / pera / poire
piscis / peis / peix / pez / peixe / pesce / poisson
porta / porta / porta / puerta / porta / porta / porte
rota / roda / roda / rueda / roda / ruota / roué
scola, schola / escòla / escola / escuela / escola / scuola / école
tres / tres / tres / tres / três / tre / trois

The francophones (in France) call occitan bad "french" when it is clear that french is bad latin! ha-ha.
Ariela   Wednesday, July 28, 2004, 08:34 GMT
"mel, mellis / mel / mel / mile / mel / miele / miel "

My mistake. It should be : mel, mellis / mel / mel / MIEL / mel / miele / miel
alex   Wednesday, July 28, 2004, 10:05 GMT
Arelia
I have never heard some french who said occitan was bad french for the simple reason it's not french but occitan.

Some words have several versions like maturus in french you mature, for chèvre it is in the "capridé" family, auriculum you have auriculaire.....not so simple, ha ha ha !!!!
alex   Wednesday, July 28, 2004, 10:09 GMT
Ariela,

you forgat Roumanian, do you ignore Roumanian is a latin language, roman 2? I let you to have the answer, you will learn something at once and not only copy and paste everything.
Romance language are much more, what about for example Romanche, and which occitan are you talking about, catalan, auvergnat, provençal, languedor, savoyard?
alex the great   Wednesday, July 28, 2004, 10:11 GMT
at least for example, french use the word citron which is the closest latin word for citrus (lemon is arabic). Do you need some other examples?

Great to be the most evoluted when we see people like you who feel ashamed of you culture and transfer it to others
Ceaser   Wednesday, July 28, 2004, 13:39 GMT
What about Romanche? The swiss language, it is only spoken by 1% of the population, yet it has official status and I believe it is of Latin roots as well. By the way, If I am correct, Italian is the worst language when it comes to dialects. For example, my Nona who is from Sicily cannot understand any other diaelct other than her own, and even has problems with standard Italian, versus my friend's mother who speaks Naples Italian and cannot understand her husband, who speaks Florentine (Florence) Italian. Why is this and is this true? Dialtects play a major role in language, and can be rather tricky. For example, when I watch Arabic films, if the films come from Egypt, the dialect is almost a different language if you compare it to Saudi Aravic or Palestinian/Jordanian Arabic. Even Gaelic has diaects! Just asking!
Ariela   Thursday, July 29, 2004, 06:38 GMT
<<I have never heard some french who said occitan was bad french for the simple reason it's not french but occitan.>>

Of course occitan is not french, but there are certain people in France who refuse to accept that occitan is a separate language and say that it is a lesser french dialect.

<<Some words have several versions like maturus in french you mature, for chèvre it is in the "capridé" family, auriculum you have auriculaire.....not so simple, ha ha ha !!!! >>

True, but the purpose of the word comparison was to compare common words in the romance language family. For maturus I was comparing the words for "ripe" not "mature", for capra I was comparing the common words for "goat" not the genus, and for auriculum, I was comparing the words for "ear" which in french is "orielle" not "auriculaire", that word relates to the internal hearing organs

<<you forgat Roumanian, do you ignore Roumanian is a latin language, roman 2? I let you to have the answer, you will learn something at once and not only copy and paste everything. Romance language are much more, what about for example Romanche, and which occitan are you talking about, catalan, auvergnat, provençal, languedor, savoyard? >>

I do not ignore that romanian is a latin language. Why did I not put down sardinian, or friulan, or piedmontese, or asturian, or corse, or genovese, or aragonese, or sicilian, or dalmation?? Goodness, that would take too much space! I was not attempting to give a complete listing of romance languages, only a small sample of more familiar western varieties. Why I chose to include catalan and occitan is because Jordi's post suggested choosing the two to remake the new latin language for Europe. Please read his post.

Which occitan am I talking about? Because of its conservative nature which makes it the closest to classical occitan, I am talking about languedocien. It is the dialect used for introduction courses in occitan.

Savoyard is not occitan, it is francoprovençal, a seperate branch of the romance family.

<<at least for example, french use the word citron which is the closest latin word for citrus (lemon is arabic). Do you need some other examples?>>

The latin "citreus" means "citrus fruit", not specifically a lemon (it could also include limes, oranges, and grapefruits). "Citrus" means "citrus tree". The other languages use this latin root word also:

spanish – cidro, fruta cítrica
portuguese – citrus, cítrico
italian – citro
occitan – citron
So what is your point?

<<Great to be the most evoluted when we see people like you who feel ashamed of you culture and transfer it to others.>>

What makes you say I'm ashamed of my culture? When did I say that? After many many centuries of having your language and culture suppressed, being told that your language is vulgar and an aberration, and being punished in school for speaking it, it is quite understandable why some people would be ashamed of their culture.

Why are you so hostile anyway? I was joking when I said french is bad latin. Get a sense of humour.
Ariela   Thursday, July 29, 2004, 06:48 GMT
<<I have never heard some french who said occitan was bad french for the simple reason it's not french but occitan. >>

"Occitan is sometimes represented as a dialect of French, or even as a corrupt form of French - a patois. Both of these ideas are wrong, though have been taught in French schools until recently."

http://www.languedoc-france.info/1006_occitan.htm

"Since the Occitan speaking lands are not independent, their language is generally regarded as a French dialect, despite its long literary history going back to the troubadours."

http://www.uwm.edu/~corre/franca/edition3/discussion.html

"The Auvergne is a region in France, west of Lyon. The language spoken there, Auvergnat, is a dialect of the Occitan (aka Languedoc/Provençal) language, which is still spoken by a decent percentage of the population of southern France today. It is rarely heard of; however, because the French government refuses to give it any official recognition or status, and they brush the language aside by saying it is only a "dialect" of French, which is a lie. Occitan in fact, is a Romance language much older than French."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb805.html

"Never forget before learning our language that, despite what claims France to make a fool of us, Occitan is not a dialect or a patois of French; it is a true language with its own rules; a language written and sung much before French."

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/babel-site/occitan.html

"And it explains - but doesn't excuse - the French government's reluctance to take actions to implement a recent European Union proclamation that requires member states to protect the rights of speakers of minority languages, even to the point of denying that minority languages are still used within French borders as primary forms of communication. ("Occitan," I heard a member of the Délégation à la Langue Française declare, "is simply French with a few particular turns of phrase.")"

http://www-csli.stanford.edu/~nunberg/angels.html
alex   Thursday, July 29, 2004, 06:53 GMT
If you "use" the word dialect for languedocien you do the same as the french who say occitan is a lesser french dialect. Languedocien is a language not a dialect, use the right words please.

You said french french was the lost evoluted language between latin ones, roman ones, i said you forgot roumanian which has been influenced by slavonic cultures.

I have never heard in France who said occitan is a lesser french. Not the people i know and not in my family.
alex el trobador de Nemausus   Thursday, July 29, 2004, 06:56 GMT
Viva Occitaña!
alex   Thursday, July 29, 2004, 07:02 GMT
"Why are you so hostile anyway? I was joking when I said french is bad latin. Get a sense of humour. "

The problem is, french do not joke about french and its latinism!