What is the official language of the European Union?

nic   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:06 GMT
Why not "Kiwi"?.

I said that bacause i have an australian friend who told me they call new zealanders "kiwis".
nic   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:07 GMT
Impossible, you don't pronouce the "s" in french (silent letter).
Axel   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:08 GMT
It is funny because I live in Toulouse, and my father is always proud to say that Toulouse is not a French city and that we were invaded by the French many years ago!
nic   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:09 GMT
That's what some people say in Lyon
Axel   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:10 GMT
Really? My father was born in Lyon (in Bron) and believe that city is a "typically" French city... he do not really love it!
Damian   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:14 GMT
Dulcinea del Toboso:

Do you not think that the English language is made even richer and all the better for it's absorption of so many words from other languages over the centuries? It makes it even more of an "international" language in that case..and not merely "local and parochial" so to speak. This huge increase in its vocabulary of words from a wide range of other languages and dialects is probably due to the days of the British empire (and the invasions of these islands in history) all these words having their origins in other cultures.

Grammar can be boring if you allow it to be....there are obviously many people in this forum who have a passion for it and it is the basis and structure of every language. It is interesting to dismantle a language to see how it works much as you would a machine I guess. Put it all together again and you can enjoy its beauty and sheer poetry.
nic   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:18 GMT
It's not a typical french city for two reasons, there has been a big contribution of italians and east europeans. If you have been there, you will notice many streets have italian names. It was more connected to Turin and Genêve than Paris in the past. It's too on the east to be typically french, and not enough in the south to be typically south. I personnally like the city, if you compare to Paris, i will choose Lyon you can believe me. It does not mean if i had the choice between Marseille and Lyon i won't choose Marseille.
<insert nickname>   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:23 GMT
I couldn't call myself Kiwi, because although lots of New Zealanders use the word (and do like like it) I personally have never liked it. A Kiwi is flightless bird that runs round in the dark digging up worms. It'd be like calling myself duck, chicken, or goose.

I think the main reason Kiwi is used is because "New Zealander" is too long, and there is no such word as "New Zealandish". Thats one reason why I like German (Neuseelandisch).
Axel   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:24 GMT
Well, as I have a lot of my family in Lyon I have been there several times. It is really beautiful, that is true... but I always say it is like a "mini-Paris" because of its architecture! What is a bit boring is the suburb, cities like Bron or Villeurbanne are really horrible. Marseille is horrible too, believe me!! I studied there for three years, and I have been impressed how it is dirty...
<insert nickname>   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:25 GMT
I wonder what will happen in the next 10 years, we'll probably be a republic with the countries name changed to "Aotearoa".
<insert nickname>   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:26 GMT
sorry, country's name

From now on I'll try and make sure I type correct English seeing as this is a language forum, I wouldn't want anyone to pick up bad grammar from me!
nic   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:56 GMT
Axel,

No Lyon is not like a mini Paris, the architecture is really different, the Rennaissance quartier is different from Paris, not the only one. Some subburbs are ugly that's true, the worst is Vaulx en Velin. Marseille is dirty and wild that's especially what i like, i have some family in Marseille and i like it, it doesn't mean i would like to live in the subburb. You know, it's like many french towns, look at Grenoble, nice town, subburb ugly, Nîmes is beautifull but the subburb....

I like Marseille because of its soul, and because of the area.
nic   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 08:57 GMT
Paris is all white architecture, Lyon is orange or yellow. It's definitly not the same architecture.
Axel   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 09:06 GMT
In fact I thought the architecture were very similar in Paris and Lyon... but I don't know a lot of things about all that stuff!!
Yes you are true about the suburbs in ageneral way. One of the things I love in Toulouse is the fact that the suburb is really quiet and very nice, and by the way I am very critical with some cities like Lyon and Marseille. Do you know Grenoble too? It is funny because I have some family there too!
Marseille is a very strange city you know. The main thing I love there is its "cosmopolity" (I am not sure that word exists in English... and I am too lazy to check it!) But I think it is too much aggressive, too much dirty and too much proud... finally, it is "too much".
nic   Wednesday, June 23, 2004, 09:21 GMT
So, next you go to Lyon have a visit, you will feel like in Italy in some places. I know Grenoble like a lot of Lyonnais (ski).

Marseille is too much but french are usually too much.

I have been one time in Toulouse, nice town. My problem is i was born and grew up in Lyon, i live (because of work) in Paris today (i don't like Paris) which is really dirty 'pollution, dog's shit, cars evrywhere (when i say everywhere it's everywhere) and i don't think Paris is so beautifull, all crap, all too much!

But i don't know if i would like to live in a small town that's why i am interested in Marseille.