double, tirple,...

General_Ricardo   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 22:37 GMT
What's next?
Eastie   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 23:05 GMT
single, double, triple, quadruple, quintuple, sextuple, septuple, octuple, nonuple, decuple...
Someone   Saturday, July 03, 2004, 23:24 GMT
The ones over quadruple aren't as commonly heard, however.
General_Ricardo   Sunday, July 04, 2004, 01:03 GMT
So Someone, what would you use instead of "the ones over quadruble"?
Someone   Sunday, July 04, 2004, 01:53 GMT
You wouldn't use them in regular conversation. If you say "nonuple", for example, you might not be understood. Instead of "The number of rabbits was nonupled.", you could say "The number of rabbits was multiplied by nine."
Damian   Sunday, July 04, 2004, 07:12 GMT
I agree....that's how rabbits are :-)
General_Ricardo   Sunday, July 04, 2004, 08:15 GMT
"You wanna tirple your reading speed, this course will help you. Call 48594848484848". Would you say that the course is gonna multiply your reading speed by 4?!!!LOL
Ryan   Monday, July 05, 2004, 07:14 GMT
Do they always say "treble" instead of "triple" in the UK?
Someone   Monday, July 05, 2004, 16:52 GMT
No. Technically, it is multiplied by 3, but that's beside the point. BTW, it is "triple", not "tirple". Still, avoid using anything besides "single", "double", "triple", and "quadruple". The person you are talking to probably won't know the others. You can use any other way to indicate what you're saying.
Criostóir   Tuesday, July 06, 2004, 00:07 GMT
If I hadn't learnt them in school, I wouldn't know the other forms! So Someone is right. The only bigger one perhaps people might know of is when referring to multiple births:

twins, triplets, quadruplets, quintuplets

Beyond the last, which itself is quite rare, most people don't have a chance to speak of sextuplets etc. And even then, I've heard people refer to quadruplets and quintuplets as "quads" and "quints" before.

Criostóir
Xatufan   Tuesday, July 06, 2004, 02:14 GMT
Yes, it's true. I was born in with my four brothers, all together. We are all stuck together. We are Siamese.

Just joking, LOL.
PC Police   Tuesday, July 06, 2004, 02:45 GMT
"We are Siamese."

You mean "conjoined".

That must've been hard on your mother.
CG   Tuesday, July 06, 2004, 08:17 GMT
Ryan
We don't always say treble. It is very common. And if I personally were going to say something was multiplied by three, I would say trebled. If I was saying a phone number I might say three-triple-two, etc.