Types of hair

José   Monday, July 05, 2004, 02:48 GMT
In my country there's basically two kinds of hair,

Pelo bueno:
Nice hair, that's the kind of hair that a common white american girl has, it's called pelo muerto

Pelo malo:
bad hair, that's the hair that africans have.

I know there's curly hair, wavy hair, etc,
but
don't people in Usa, england, etc make this basic distinction?
Damian   Monday, July 05, 2004, 06:52 GMT
Hair styles come in all different forms. It's a matter of personal preference. Curly hair comes naturally to some people and for others it's straight. You can go to the hair stylist and alter your hair in your country like you can anywhere else. So you can go from pelo mala to pelo bueno in less than an hour. Then if you're in England you can go out into the wind and rain and you're back to pelo malo again immediately.

If you are not happy with your hair they say you're having a "Bad Hair Day".

Jennifer Anniston always seems to be having one of those all the time judging by the way she is continually brushing it away clear of her eyes. Maybe that is pelo muerto... I'm no expert in hair. Personally I'm happy with my crop. At least I have uniterrupted vision.

I wonder if she's a common American girl? I'm not sure she'd be too happy to hear that. I think you might mean the average American girl. But with such a diverse society as there is in America what is average? Is Jennifer Anniston average?

I don't suppose Africans themselves think they have pelo malo...do they?
Sera   Wednesday, July 07, 2004, 08:03 GMT
Reply to José: (Monday, july 05, 2004 ,02:48 GMT)

I´m an proud african girl.. and personaly I think the message you left on this page is very offending to africans all over the world...

If you are as smart as you think you are you would know that there are white american girls that have hair just like african-american girls or what you´d like to call "Pelo Malo".. And vice versa there are black girls that have straight hair...

Now... I can say that I have "Pelo Bueno" and my hair ain´t straight!!!

It all boils down to one thing: Personal perference.
You are 100% intiteld to your own opinion just as I am..
Since you where so "kind" of letting people know that africans have bad hair I´ma let you know something:

I think you´re a guy whit one to many dissapointing trips to the hairdresser and since you don´t have a life you decided to take it out on other people, which is a very ignorant way of dealing whit your own issues!

Oh and I also forgot to tell you the most important thing: YOU SUCK!
Jose   Wednesday, July 07, 2004, 13:25 GMT
First of all,
did i created the term "pelo malo", nooooooooo
i did not, it's just the way people call that kind of hair in my country,
my hair is "pelo malo", and i dont have a problem with it,

In the second place, i'm not white, but the average white girl has "pelo bueno" and most of african people (i never said either african-american or black) have "pelo malo" .

I just wanted to know the way people call the different kinds of hair, so i wrote the way people calle them where i live,

now, the one who is taking it out on me it's you, i never offended anybody, you are just pretending you're insulted cause you want to have an excuse to say somebody: you suck, and then await right in front of the monitor untill that person say "i'm sorry if i hurt anybody's feeling",
the problem is you messed with the wrong person.
Mi5 Mick   Wednesday, July 07, 2004, 14:07 GMT
Maybe it's acceptable in your language and country, but there is no translation for this in English with the exact same, negative connotation. Maybe this is because of political correctness in Anglo countries where people are conditioned to be racially sensitivity more than ever, especially above other factors such as sexual orientation, culture, and attire affecting appearance.
CG   Friday, July 09, 2004, 19:15 GMT
I think you'll find it is because people get offended when you declare that their hair is inferior just because it is not caucasian.
David Winters   Friday, July 09, 2004, 19:52 GMT
In the U.S., "bad hair" is almost always associated with the tightly-curled hair possed by people of African decent. The term is considered *highly* offensive.

Hair types are divvied up like this:

Type 1: Bone Straight (what you would call "pelo bueno")
Type 2: Wavy
Type 3: Curly
Type 4: "Kinky" or "Nappy" (what you would call "pelo malo")

In addition to these main types, there are also several subtypes. This website describes them in detail: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hairtype.php

Now shut up, you wankers.
Ed   Friday, July 09, 2004, 20:07 GMT
Jennifer Aniston is considered an fashion icon and her hairstyles are widely copied by everyone.
mjd   Friday, July 09, 2004, 20:21 GMT
David Winters said: "In the U.S., 'bad hair' is almost always associated with the tightly-curled hair possed by people of African decent. The term is considered *highly* offensive."

This is completely untrue. The term that would be associated with black people would be "nappy." I wouldn't say it is an offensive word, but one must be extra careful when using it. People might take offense if their hair were described as "nappy."

Contrary to what David says, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying "bad hair" and it has absolutely nothing to do with people of African descent. You might offend someone by saying he/she has "bad hair" (who wants to hear that their hair is ugly?), but it doesn't have any racial connotations.

Some people might say "today is a bad hair day" if their hair happens to be a bit unruly that day.

I'd take anything that David Winters says with a grain of salt.
David Winters   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 01:28 GMT
Take everything I have with a grain of salt? Who are you to call my knowledge into question, you worthless internet rent-a-cop? Why don't you go back to begging for scraps from Tom's dinner plate?

Fucking tosser. You make me sick.
mjd   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 05:37 GMT
I'm going to address each of the issues you brought up individually:

1) Who am I to call your knowledge into question?

I live in the United States (you don't) and I'm familiar with our dialect. The term "bad hair" has nothing to do with people of African descent...see my post above for an explanation.

2) Internet rent-a-cop

I'm not being "rented" because I'm not paid to do this. I do this (get rid of spam and trolls) because I think this forum is interesting and of value to those who are learning English. I do it for free and I'm glad to help Tom out.

3) "Fucking tosser. You make me sick." "Now shut up, you wankers"

These are just two of the many examples of your rude behavior. Type "David Winters" into the archive search and you'll find many others. Given your total lack of respect for other people on this forum, can you think of any reason why we shouldn't take what you say with a grain of salt?
Damian   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 11:03 GMT
EDINBURGH Scotland
10/07/04

David Winters:

Your tone and language in your reply was really uncalled for if I may intervene. This forum is for friendly discussion and the exchange of viewpoints and.....yes....legitimate criticism. I think I have done my share without resorting to personal abuse.

It is acceptable in my view to make your point in here as long as it is NOT offensive.

I think YOU have a problem, David and mjd is quite correct....just look back at some of your postings. You made comments not suitable in this forum where we are SUPPOSED to talk about every aspect of language and things related.

I think mjd has been very restrained in his reply to you and I commend him.

I THINK YOU SHOULD APOLOGISE TO HIM IN HERE.

David.....where are you from? !