actually, basically and absolutely

Kim Sun   Friday, July 09, 2004, 18:32 GMT
Why I keep here the English spoke this words? I not understanding what mean and when ask me they say it don't mean nothing. So why say?
mjd   Friday, July 09, 2004, 18:41 GMT
When you don't know what a word means, the best thing to do is go to the dictionary.

Actually: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=actually

Basically: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=basically

Absolutely: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=absolutely
Kim Sun   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 07:06 GMT
No you are not understanding what I mean. I am knowing the meaning of this words but the English they using that as the disursal markers in every utterance. Why say actually every time o
pen mouth. iT STUPID. oF COURSE IT ACTUALLY. What else it be? Not actually - fantasy? Or a lie maybe.
Ryan   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 07:12 GMT
Don't these types of markers exist in almost all languages in one form or another?
Jeff   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 20:00 GMT
Actually

*Pass me two of those, (actually) as a matter of fact, pass me a whole box.
*i don't think he (actually) likes you, he is just trying his luck

Basically

*they look basically the same.
* If people do bad things to you it is basically your fault.

Absolutely
*You're completely ( absolutely) right.
*This is definitely (absolutely) the best movie i have ever seen.
Kim Sun   Sunday, July 11, 2004, 09:58 GMT
No, you still no understanding. Like this:

"A: Basically, Martins, Johnson and me once did a pairs round and basically as I was handing out the boards I put them on the wrong tables, right? Bang out of order, right? And basically it was across the room scoring. There was about...
B: Maybe eighty pairs, right?
A: Absolutely."

Now you see what I meaning?
Eastie   Sunday, July 11, 2004, 16:47 GMT
Yes, there are people who have the annoying habit of dressing up their conversations with a whole bunch of 'basically's and 'actually's. These words are used as conversation fillers and have no real meaning. (Other conversation fillers: well, like, y'know).

I think the people who do this most are those who aren't very literate or possess poor conversation skills and have picked up the habit of throwing in 'basically's and 'actually's every so often to make them sound intelligent (or so they think). The CIO at my work is guilty of this crime. Every time someone asks her a simple question, she launches into this whole yarn with so many tangents and so many 'basically's and 'actually's that she comes off sounding like a complete idiot.
mjd   Sunday, July 11, 2004, 18:17 GMT
Eastie said: "Yes, there are people who have the annoying habit of dressing up their conversations with a whole bunch of 'basically's and 'actually's. These words are used as conversation fillers and have no real meaning. (Other conversation fillers: well, like, y'know)."

Perhaps, if one overuses them. They just function as colloquial expressions.
Paul   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 19:01 GMT
Goodness Gracious

Of course, these words have meaning, just not what you might think.
They are extraneous to the main message.

In English when you give an opinion to someone, something that they may not accept,
you can throw in one of these words (interjections?) to tell your listener the
basis on which you made your opinion and just how strongly you feel about it. They are very common. Not just the 3 you mentioned.

Basically=Exactly=Completely=Definately=Naturally
Actually=Really=Honestly
Absolutely=Positively=Certainly=Utterly=Unconditionally

Contrawise, the listener can respond with one of these words to challenge and question or to confirm the opinion of speaker.

Challenges would be Really?
Honestly?
Surely?

Confirmations would be Naturally.
Exactly.
Certainly.
Basically.
Absolutely.
Oliver   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 19:09 GMT
MJD
you said, "Perhaps, if one overuses them. They just function as colloquial expressions."

Actually, I think from the question that the problem is someone is actually overusing the word, "actually".
Perhaps "Actually", could be replaced with other words, such as "immediately" or "currently" or "unexpectedly".

Do you agree?
Test   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 19:10 GMT
No, Actually not. Make me.
mjd   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 19:34 GMT
"Actually" often means "in reality" or "to be honest".....

"Actually, I'm not too keen on going there today."

"In reality, ...."

"To be honest,...."

Like I said earlier, they're expressions and like any expression, if it's overused it becomes annoying.
xiaohao   Saturday, July 17, 2004, 18:12 GMT
I was watching some war movies recently - Hamburger Hill and Black Hawk Down. I regularly catch the phrase - "it don't mean nothing" in the dialogues of these two movies. 'it don't mean nothing' is grammatically incorrect. But it must mean something or else it should not been spoken at all. l wonder who in this forum understand this phrase or know where i could check this out.

regards,

xiaohao
singapore
CalifJim   Sunday, July 18, 2004, 06:28 GMT
It don't mean nothing. = It doesn't mean anything.
But only the second is regarded as standard English.
Damian   Sunday, July 18, 2004, 08:14 GMT
"Love Actually"...did anyone see that film? A goofy English guy got fed up with stuck-up, snooty English girls so he went to America and met up with some American girls in a bar. They went wild over his "cute English accent"....and got him to name the things they pointed to, like "straw" and "bottle". They mimicked the way he named them. When he said "table" they were disappointed because it sounded exactly the same way as they pronounced it!