PUNK

General_Ricardo   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 08:27 GMT
Is it ever possible that the word "punk" means "bitch"?
mjd   Saturday, July 10, 2004, 09:05 GMT
The word "punk" can have several meanings:

1) A hooligan or a "street punk"...a hoodlum

2) someone who is affiliated with the punk rock scene and "counterculture" (although today with the mass commercialization of pop music, including punk rock, this notion of a "counterculture" is quite questionable indeed).

3) It is also used to refer to someone in a negative way...the same way "bitch" is, but it does not necessarily refer to a female

Example:

"He is such a punk. At my party the other day, he drank all of my liquor, started fights and trashed my house."

Interestingly enough...while "bitch" is most often a negative and vulgar way to refer to a female or females, it is at times used among groups of males as a put-down (one of the males implying that the other is a "wimp" etc.)

Example:

"You're such a little bitch. You do nothing but sit there and complain."

"C'mon, bitch. You wanna step outside?" [this is an invitation to fight]

4) According to Dictionary.com, "punk" can also mean "a young man who is the sexual partner of an older man"

I've never heard it used that way, but perhaps this is some type of slang term within the gay community.

5) *Due to the popularity of Ashton Kutcher's MTV show "Punk'd" in which celebrities find themselves to be the butts of practical jokes...."to punk" someone has taken on the meaning "to trick" or play an elaborate practical joke on someone. (This last example is slang that is popular now, but I could see it dying out in the future).
Another   Sunday, July 11, 2004, 15:26 GMT
Don't forget to mention that "punk" is not as strong as "bitch."

You could jokingly call someone a little punk in front of your minister,
but not a little bitch.
Jeff   Monday, July 12, 2004, 04:00 GMT
Bitch isn't that strong,
It all depends on the kind of conversation you're having,