Headache

Dan   Monday, July 12, 2004, 05:58 GMT
I went to the drugstore to get something (for the headache) or (for a headache).
mjd   Monday, July 12, 2004, 06:06 GMT
Usually someone would say: "I went to the drugstore to get something for a headache."

They might also say: "I went to the drugstore to get something for my headache." OR "I went to the drugstore to get something for this headache."

One would have to be referring to a specific headache to use "the."

"John went to the drugstore to get something for the headache he got from drinking too much."
Jeff   Monday, July 12, 2004, 14:45 GMT
Thank you
Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 03:22 GMT
mjd,
Do you ever use the words pharmacy or chemist in place of drugstore?
mjd   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 03:26 GMT
I do use pharmacy, but never use "chemist." In the U.S. "chemist" refers to scientists who work with and study chemicals.
D   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 03:43 GMT
Pharmacy and drugstore aren't synonyms in the US.
You go to a pharmacy for prescription drugs. The pharmacy may be located in a drugstore or it may not -- many hospitals have their own pharmacies without having drugstores. A drugstore sells drugs that don't require a prescription. Most drugstores also sell convenience items like paper, cigarettes, candy, etc. A grocery store or a department store may have a pharmacy and may also sell over-the-counter drugs, but those stores aren't called drugstores.

I have never heard a native American speaker use 'chemist' for drugstore, but the British do say it.
Damian   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 06:31 GMT
In the UK chemist or chemists is universally used. If I said drugstore people would think I'd just come back from a holiday in Florida.
Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 12:50 GMT
"A drugstore sells drugs that don't require a prescription. Most drugstores also sell convenience items like paper, cigarettes, candy, etc."
In Australia, we call that a convenience store - can't think of the other names... but a drugstore here would be received badly, with a negative connotation.

The main function of a pharmacy here is also for prescriptions. "Chemist" (as in chemical scientist) is used as a synonym.
garans   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 16:50 GMT
For a foreigner this phrase may look awkward.
It sounds like you want to have the headache.

He/she would rather use "to get something against headache".
alicia   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 18:34 GMT
great answers !
I have learned a lot
thanks