gals

General_Ricardo   Monday, July 12, 2004, 21:12 GMT
"guys restroom" and "gals restroom" gals=girls, why would it be written like this although it's not even pronuced that way, not the I know of at least.
Elaine   Monday, July 12, 2004, 21:39 GMT
"Gals" is pronounced exactly as written - [g@ls].
General_Ricardo   Monday, July 12, 2004, 23:28 GMT
Could you explain further please?
Random Chappie   Monday, July 12, 2004, 23:30 GMT
"Gals" is colloquial English and is pronounced as it is written. For this, no further explanation is ncessary.

"Girls" is pronounced differently from "gals". "Girls" is normal English.

Hope you get it now.
Jeff   Monday, July 12, 2004, 23:39 GMT
Do you, Dicky?
Someone   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 04:01 GMT
"Gal" is the female equivalent of "guy". You can't call one girl a "guy".
Dulcinea del Toboso   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 04:13 GMT
"Gal" seems to be a word that conjures up a certain era, the 1940's and 1950's and a certain western U.S. "folksy" informality.

I can't imagine anyone under the age of 60 using that word in serious conversation. Otherwise, usually it's written or spoken only as an obvious and lighthearted affectation.
Someone   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 04:20 GMT
I myself never use the word "gal". There are many words like that I don't use, such as "dudette". There was this girl that got mad when I said she wasn't a "dude" (she'd called herself that). She said that I'd called her a "dudette", when I hadn't.
Damian   Tuesday, July 13, 2004, 06:14 GMT
Someone's post reflects a similar situation in UK where "dude" is not used much....here the equivalents are "lad" or "bloke". For girls the word "ladette" can be used (not much though) but it is not very flattering really as it means a girl who copies male (lad or laddish) behavioural patterns like getting drunk and being bawdy (or ruch as we say in Scotland).
CG   Friday, July 16, 2004, 11:29 GMT
Ey up lass, looks like yer mam's calling you in fer yer tea.
Damian   Friday, July 16, 2004, 13:54 GMT
Och ....it's nae time fu' tea the noo is it? Oh, aye it is...hope I hae' a nice wee bannock....
Jordi   Friday, July 16, 2004, 14:23 GMT
Damian dear,
What on earth is a bannock? I know it's nice and wee but what is it?
CG   Friday, July 16, 2004, 15:48 GMT
A kind of cake, right Damian?
Elaine   Friday, July 16, 2004, 17:13 GMT
"There was this girl that got mad when I said she wasn't a "dude" (she'd called herself that)."

My teenage sister and her girlfriends call each other "dudes". What's the problem with that?
Random Chappie   Friday, July 16, 2004, 17:52 GMT
I must ask Damian to teach me the Scottish dialect (it's my favourite dialect, d'ye ken?).