How to read "#"

Yuh   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 05:45 GMT
In the C-language, we use #pragma directives. How do we read the "#" here? I heard there are some alternative ways of reading the symbol(number, hash, etc.), but is there any specific way of reading it when it comes to the C-language?
Tom   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 06:10 GMT
Personally, I just read it as "pragma", omitting the "#". You might want to ask this question in the Joel On Software forum:
http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/
Yuh   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 07:43 GMT
Thank you for the information about the software forum!

Then, what about in general? I mean, not specific to the C language. What is the most common way of reading the symbol "#"?
Jim   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 07:55 GMT
In general I'd call it "hash".
mjd   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 07:55 GMT
On a telephone pad, it is referred to as the "pound sign." If one were to see "#34," it would be read "number 34."
Orion   Wednesday, July 14, 2004, 16:59 GMT
More than you ever wanted to know...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octothorp

Here in the American Mid-west, I hear "pound sign" 99% of the time, although I'll very occasionally hear "hash." And of course it can represent "number."
CG   Friday, July 16, 2004, 11:26 GMT
Isn't this - £ - the pound sign?
I'd call # hash.
Mi5 Mick   Friday, July 16, 2004, 11:39 GMT
If Americans call # the pound sign, do they also call £ the pound sign?
Damian   Friday, July 16, 2004, 13:40 GMT
# - a numeric as mjd says.

Am I right in assuming that the majority of Americans would not recognise £ as the sign for the pound Sterling (British currency)? Or am I doing them an injustice? After all, George Bush could not locate the British Isles on the world map without asistance and a high ranking official in the White House tried to find Spain on a map of Latin America. Sorry guys, but that is true!
nic   Friday, July 16, 2004, 13:51 GMT
Damian,

You are right, did you know Bush said "Welcome Mister president of the spanish Republic" we had a lot of fun in France when we heard that.
Another one, Bush use to say the "greecians" instead of greeks.
There are many others, where did they find that guy?
Elaine   Friday, July 16, 2004, 17:24 GMT
"If Americans call # the pound sign, do they also call £ the pound sign?"

Most Americans would not even know what a £ is. I'm not saying all, but most!

Re: Bush....

http://www.bushisms.com/
mjd   Friday, July 16, 2004, 17:38 GMT
I don't know about most, but I'd say a lot of people know the £. George Bush is not a good gauge by which to judge.
Random Chappie   Friday, July 16, 2004, 17:48 GMT
I'd say most Americans in my area do know the £ sign and the € sign too, for that matter. They are rather intelligent, cosmopolitan, and adept at deciphering my Britishisms. Bush and his fellow southern provincials are another matter.
Mi5 Mick   Saturday, July 17, 2004, 01:39 GMT
Elaine,
Yeah well I'm sure most, but not all Europeans wouldn't know what a nickel or a dime were. Of course you had to find the lowest denomination in Bush... I heard that both he and Chirac will being playing poker with them at a big lingerie party when their terms lapse. The theme will be "Getting in bed with the enemy".