nivrak   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 10:05 GMT
in our language:
"drakachupovtalimnientrekabutinzapatrovhniektschiniabloukmissak"

it means : "let's get some new clothes at the mall this weekend!"
amazing huh? ;)
nic   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 10:36 GMT
i agree with Mi5 Mick, medical terms do not count, the same with greek
Tom   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 13:08 GMT
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the famous Welsh town of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.

http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/gales.jpg

In case you're wondering how to pronounce the name, here's the transcription in the Antimoon ASCII Phonetic Alphabet (from the Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary):

/,(h)l@n fe..(r) pul gwiN gil gOu ,ge..r .. ,kwe:(r)n ,drOu bul ,(h)l@n d.. ,sil i(:) Ou ,gOu 'gof/

When pronouncing the name, make sure to place the stress on the last syllable.
Tom   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 13:10 GMT
Correction:
I missed one /gOu/ in the transcription.

/,(h)l@n fe..(r) pul gwiN gil gOu ,ge..r .. ,kwe:(r)n ,drOu bul ,(h)l@n d.. ,sil i(:) Ou ,gOu gOu 'gof/
Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 14:12 GMT
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch
What the...?! Don't ask me to pronounce it. It makes no sense to me why a proper name or a word would need to be so long.

The longest word I've ever attempted to say is antidisestablishmentarianism, but is it really a word?
Damian   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 19:49 GMT
Tom:

Re: Llanfair P.G. (its usual contraction and the one the locals use)

Please look up a couple of my previous postings. I beat you to it on this score.

For the uninitiated, it's a small village in Anglesey, North Wales. It has a train station and the station name is there in full, in all its splendid glory. It's on the A5 road between Menai Bridge and Holyhead if you want to look it up on a map. No idea of the OS Number without checking it out.

I have a friend from uni (also previously mentioned in one of my postings) whose home is in a village a few miles down the road from there and that village is called;

LLANFAIRMATHAFARNEITHAF
Xatufan   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 20:35 GMT
Oh My God! Years ago I read about Llanfair P.G. in a book. They said that it was the longest word for a place.

I've noticed someting: both Llanfair P.G and the village of Damian's friend start with "Llanfair". Is that a Welsh word? Maybe it could mean "village" or something like that...
Damian   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 21:14 GMT
Xatufan:

Welsh lesson.

Llan......means a church which has been dedicated to a saint. The ordinary Welsh word for a church as a building is "eglwys".

To pronounce the LL sound in Welsh:

Place tip of tongue behind the front of the top teeth and simply blow! as easy as that but English people STILL unable to do it! Maybe Celts have different toungues (or teeth).

The "Fair" bit is the name of the saint Mary...in Welsh that is "Mair" It is "Fair" in the name Llanfair because of the Welsh system of mutation. Mair/Fair/Mhair - depends on position and preceding word I believe.

The Church of St Mary : Llanfair

The Church of St Tudno: Llandudno (again..Welsh mutation...very complicated.....Tudno/Dudno

Hope you get the drift of this.
Damian   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 21:19 GMT
typo: tongues* I type too rapidly and it's late and I've had a hectic day and I'm shattered.
Goran   Friday, July 23, 2004, 16:08 GMT
The longest work in English is 310 letters long, and you'll forgive me if I don't write it for you. The explanation is also very long but it begins with "A deluded human who practices divination or forecasting by means of phenomena ... blah-blah-blah". Sorry that I didn't write the word or the meaning, but I'm just too lazy for it. I can't say for sure what's the longest word in Macedonian, but the longest one I've heard is "otorinolaringolog", which means "a doctor for ears, throat and nose". It's a pretty lousy translation, but I can't think of a better one.
CG   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 15:35 GMT
Damian, I am English and I can pronounce the Ll sound, except when there are two in one word. I went to a boarding school near Llandudno. Which my mother calls Clandudno.
Damian   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 18:12 GMT
CG:

Llandudno....The Church of St Tudno. I think it maybe somewhere on the Great Orme? ;-)

Congratulations on the LL. There is nothing dificult about it at all, is there? With due respect to you, the English seem to enjoy making a pig's ear of other language pronunciations. They do the same up here in Scotland.....you ought to hear their versions of Banchory or Ballachulish. Still, we like all the tourist money they bring in! LOL

Using the Cl- or even Th- for the Welsh LL is the easy English cop out. For instance Llangollen becomes Clangothlen. They haven't a hope in hell for Llanwchllyn and Machynlleth becomes something totally unrecognisable for the native Welsh speakers. I'm not sure if it causes amusement or disdain. Probably a mixture of both. ;-)
HUGO   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 19:28 GMT

To Nivrak,
I would like to hear u ponouncing this word to see how many breaks would that require of u.Probably break it down three times.
chan   Monday, July 26, 2004, 03:13 GMT
there is no longest word in our language, becasue our word is square,.
Easterner   Monday, July 26, 2004, 07:17 GMT

Here is the longest word in Hungarian:

Elkelkáposztásítottalanítottátok

Actually it is a fun word which consists of various inflections around the world "kelkáposzta" (savoy cabbage). To give you an idea: it means something as "You have desavoycabbagized it". It's as silly as that :-).

The longest placenames in Hungary with at least 6 syllables or more (something our country is quite famous for):

Balatonmáriafürdő
Kiskunfélegyháza
Hódmezővásárhely
Sátoraljaújhely
Mosonmagyaróvár