The way New Zealanders pronounce their e's

Santa Claus   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 17:21 GMT
I once heard a sample of this sentence said by a New Zealander and they pronounced all of their ''e's'' like ''i's''. Why is that? Why do they pronounce for example ''Deb'' as ''Dib''.

I listene to them say this sentence,

''Dear Mom and Dad: Hi! How are you? Well, here I am in the big city. Although the weather is nice at the moment, the forecast is for hail, but that should soon clear. I bought a new coat yesterday because they say it gets really cold. I have to stay at Aunty Deb's house for now, but I'm hoping to get a flat soon. The trip up was great, even though it took ten hours. Well, I must go. You know how rarely I write, but I will try to do better this year.''

And it sounded like they were saying

''Dear Mom and Dad: Hi! How are you? Will, here I am in the big city. Although the wither is nice at the moment, the forecast is for hail, but that should soon clear. I bought a new coat yisterday because they say it gits really cold. I have to stay at Aunty Dib's house for now, but I'm hoping to git a flat soon. The trip up was great, even though it took tin hours. Will, I must go. You know how rarely I write, but I will try to do bitter this year.''

Why do they pronounce their ''e's'' like ''i's''? And another thing,

Why do they always say ''fush un chups'' when they mean ''fish and chips''?
Juan   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 21:42 GMT
Isn't it the other way round. I think they pronounce their "i's" like a "e" schawa sound.

i.e fridge = fr..dge
city = c..ty
Jeff   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 02:57 GMT
Hold on, hold on ,hold on,
what's an e schwa sound?
Juan   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 04:40 GMT
VIS[IO]N
IDE[A]

DOES THE [IO] IN VISION AND [A] SOUND IDENTICALLY ALIKE?

[IO] IN VISION SOUND LIKE A SHOR VERSION OF [ER] (non-rhotic) IN PERT

[A] IN IDE[A] SOUNDS LIKE A SHORT VERSION OF [AR] (non-rhotic) IN ARM.
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 07:08 GMT
The "e" Santa is talking about is in words like "better" and "get"; they sound to us like "bitter" and "git" because they use a very acute "e".
Santa Claus   Thursday, July 22, 2004, 12:14 GMT
I listene to them say this sentence,

''Dear Mom and Dad: Hi! How are you? Well, here I am in the big city. Although the weather is nice at the moment, the forecast is for hail, but that should soon clear. I bought a new coat yesterday because they say it gets really cold. I have to stay at Aunty Deb's house for now, but I'm hoping to get a flat soon. The trip up was great, even though it took ten hours. Well, I must go. You know how rarely I write, but I will try to do better this year.''

And it sounded like they were saying

''Dear Mom and Dad: Hi! How are you? Will, here I am in the big city. Although the wither is nice at the moment, the forecast is for hail, but that should soon clear. I bought a new coat yisterday because they say it gits really cold. I have to stay at Aunty Dib's house for now, but I'm hoping to git a flat soon. The trip up was great, even though it took tin hours. Will, I must go. You know how rarely I write, but I will try to do bitter this year.''

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

I think this is how they'd also say this sentence,

''I want to buy some better fish and chips''

As,

''I want to buy some bitter fush un chups''.
Pat   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 09:40 GMT
I once heard a sample of this sentence said by a New Zealander and they pronounced all of their ''e's'' like ''i's''. Why is that? Why do they pronounce for example ''Deb'' as ''Dib>>

I don't know, but for the life of me I can't tell the difference between them and Aussies.
CG   Sunday, July 25, 2004, 15:18 GMT
I think on first hearing I would presume a Kiwi to be Australian, but after a while I would notice that the accent was a little different from the one I have in my head as being Australian and then I would think they were probably from New Zealand.

It is the same with Canadians, I always think they are American first and then realise that they are not.
Ben   Monday, July 26, 2004, 18:46 GMT
A Kiwi accent is in many ways an extreme version of an Aussie accent. Thus, where the letters a and e are "tightened" in Oz, In NZ they are moved all the way to a completely different phoneme: from "e" to "i," and from "a" to "e."
Mi5 Mick   Tuesday, July 27, 2004, 02:41 GMT
I'm an Aussie and sometimes find it hard to understand Kiwis because of the accute "vowel shift" and excessive clipping of syllables. It's even harder for me understanding NZer street-speak. Aussie ocker is easier to follow because pronunciation becomes more deliberate and stretched out with diphthongisation.