A Case Study: the use of 'on'

soni   Wednesday, August 11, 2004, 03:33 GMT
One of my problems is with preposition. I will start here with the preposition 'on'. I have just found the following sentence on [*] a website: Benitez cool on Owen rumour.

I will tend to use "about" instead of "on". Can I use "about" instead of "on"?

[*] please correct me if it is not a correct preposition.
Dulcinea del Toboso   Thursday, August 12, 2004, 02:36 GMT
Yes, in that sentence you could replace "on" with "about" - the only difference is that using "on" sounds a little more trendy and it sounds more like a short newspaper or website headline rather than something people would actually say.

Often you just have to memorize the correct preposition to use with verbs or particular subjects. This isn't unique to English. For example the same needs to be done for Russian, such as when to use "v" and when to use "na".
soni   Thursday, August 12, 2004, 06:45 GMT
Thanks.

I see the bbc.co.uk, the website where I found the sentence, uses 'on' very often (in their attempt to be more trendy? :-)).
Random Chappie   Thursday, August 12, 2004, 07:16 GMT
No, not because it's "more trendy", but because it's news language.
soni   Thursday, August 12, 2004, 08:18 GMT
I have just found that, at least what I found on the internet, after reading an English-based news, we must use the preposition 'on' for the following word:

-- on computer
-- on the internet
-- on Windows or on Linux
-- on a website

Am I correct?
soni   Thursday, August 12, 2004, 08:26 GMT
Thank you for your information, Random Chappie.

For the last few days, I have been learning very hard to improve my skill on preposition.
soni   Saturday, August 14, 2004, 03:48 GMT
Is there any logical reason for this? I mean, why do use "on" in that case? (look at my examples above).
Blake   Saturday, August 14, 2004, 19:37 GMT
What, logic? In English? You're crazy :)

Americans (myself) and th British don't even always use the same prepositions or neglect using articles:

Americans tend to say "over the weekend" or "on the weekend" and I generally hear Brits say "at the weekend."

An American is put "in the hospital" but a Brit is just put "in hospital"

American sports players are "on a team" and British atheletes are "in a team"
Damian   Saturday, August 14, 2004, 20:14 GMT
UK:

If you are always busy then you are "on the go" all the time.

If you are think you feel lucky with a bet or whatever then you are "on to a winner".

You change your mind so you say "on second thoughts".

If you are impulsive you do things "on a whim".

If you are independent minded you do things "on your own" and "in your own time" and maybe "at leisure"*

*UK: [l'ez^] US: [l'i:z^]
Jennifer   Tuesday, August 17, 2004, 18:51 GMT
Damian-
In the US-
If you are always busy then you are "on the go"
If you think you feel lucky with a bet then you are "on to a winner"
You change your mind so you are "having second thoughts"
You are impulsive and you do things "on a whim"
If you are independent minded you do things "on your own, in your own time, and at your own leisure"

Sounds like we pretty much do use this preposition in the same context.