Most People Speak One Language

nic   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 11:52 GMT
When i have been to Quebec i did not have the feeling french will disappear sooner. In fact, if you use english in the street when you want to ask something, take care the guy is not a french speaker because you may encounter a few problems.
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 11:59 GMT
It's only really in Montreal where there is bilingualism. Elsewhere like in Quebec city, it's French only.
nic   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 12:09 GMT
I have only been to Montreal, i did not know Quebec was french speaking but i am not surprised.
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 12:52 GMT
Of course there are also some regions of the Quebec province that are English-speaking only.
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 12:57 GMT
And there English-speaking and French-speaking quartiers of Montreal only separated by a single road! :)
Sanja   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 15:51 GMT
And they don't learn each other's language?
Damian   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 18:10 GMT
<<French-speaking quartiers of Montreal>>

Shades of Belfast....only the issue isn't one of language.
Doogle   Monday, September 13, 2004, 00:16 GMT
How lame is Quebeck? They can't force people to speak languages they dont wanna speak. they have to accept that people speakthe language that benefites them most. just like in Nz where i am from they do every thing they can to make people learn maori language when it is a dead language that has no practical use anymore.
Franco   Monday, September 13, 2004, 01:32 GMT
I rekon native english speakers are loosers thay are so un worldly they think they are kings sittin there speaking english not even making an effort to learn something new.
nic   Monday, September 13, 2004, 06:48 GMT
Doogle,

They don't try to find any benefit, they just want to still using their on native language in their community. Apparently it works...
David Winters   Monday, September 13, 2004, 07:51 GMT
According to my American colleagues (imagine that...), the "E" marking has fallen out of use and is now considered obsolete. They say that it has also gained new meanings in some school districts; "Incomplete", "Abscent" (in regards to attendance), etc.

This is what I've been told, so any factual errors aren't of any concern of mine.
David Winters   Monday, September 13, 2004, 07:55 GMT
<<Franco opened his diseased, toothless mouth to say: I rekon native english speakers are loosers thay are so un worldly they think they are kings sittin there speaking english not even making an effort to learn something new.>>

The same can be said about native speakers of other languages. Also, you're an idiot.
Denis   Monday, September 13, 2004, 08:08 GMT
Arrogance has no nationality.
It seems that deep in heart all the nations cherish the hope on being the hub of the universe. LOL!
It's a load of crap, of course.
Mi5 Mick   Monday, September 13, 2004, 09:06 GMT
Yeah, but most people, regardless of nationality enjoy spinning crap about the aptitude of native-English speakers and their practical use of the language. This form of English bashing is fashionable and is made popular to those learning it as a second language.
nic   Monday, September 13, 2004, 12:31 GMT
Denis,

Personnally i don't cherish the hope of being (for France because i am french) the hub of universe. What else it is, shit or a great country, i absolutly don't care about it.