Great Britain Not Serious About Spanish

Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 06:52 GMT
Well how about an African with dark hair and skin migrating to Sweden? Why couldn't you call him a Swede? Why not a Black Swede?
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 06:57 GMT
I agree and you're right about the original or "correct" definition of Hispanic, but it seems that the vernacular (the spoken form) implies Latino American.
Damian   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 07:11 GMT

<<How would you react if you were an English-speaking waiter in an Italian restaurant in the UK or the US and I, a English customer, spoke to you in Italian?>>

Random:

Fainting from shock ;-)
Jordi   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 07:24 GMT
Mick,
Let's take France or Spain. Do you imagine anyone in France saying "une speakerine noire-française à l'écran." I've never heard that and they do have black announcers on French TV. I remember a couple of black announcers on Catalan TV (TV3) who are born in Catalonia and speak perfect Catalan. I've never heard anybody say "la locutora negro-catalana." If anyone would want to say her origin they'd probably say "la locutora catalana d'origen guineà." or "guineano-catalana" if she kept her original nationality (The Catalan announcer of Guinean origin.) The US just has different semantics due to its own history and culture but in a globalised world it's not so local any longer and we all move a lot. I'm not saying it's easy but things should begin to change.
I suppose you'll agree with that, as far as Europe is concerned. We don't usually refer to the colour of the skin --you might to so in personal circumstances. It doesn't mean there aren't racists in Europe, of course there are. The words "Arab" "Gipsy" or "Turk" (moro, arabe, gitan, türken) can be used is such a way. In the past, even Spanish, Italian, Greek and others have been used against the poorer migrants. The way things go, with more English than Arabs flooding into Spain, English might become a pretty vulgar definition in this part of the world. Some behaviours are begin to worry me.
As far as the correct or original definition of Hispanic, it is still original and correct in Spain. That is what baffles Spaniards who travel to the US since we have the feeling our identity has been taken away from us and we are put into another sack when we prefer to be in both.
Since we both know Australia so well, just imagine all Australians were known as "abos"; all over the world. Wouldn't you be shocked? I'm just being descriptive, please. Or all "abos" known as "anglos"...
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 07:43 GMT
Do you imagine anyone in France saying "une speakerine noire-française à l'écran." -- Nope and why would anyone say: look! an African-American news reader on TV!

It's normally the minorities who choose to classify themselves this way: the aboriginals of Australia, Canada, etc; the Greek Australians (at the time of the Olympics); the African-Americans (who set up societies for their underpriveleged); etc

I'm shocked when I hear a G-string being called a thong. The good old Aussie thong is normally covered in sand and foot odour; it must by mighty flexible to be wedged in there!
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 07:47 GMT
I think African-Americans prefer to be called Black-Americans because the Whites who are 75% approx. of the US population, are referred to as White-Americans.
nic   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 08:34 GMT
There aren't so many black or north african TV presentators on french public TV, i admit i don't know for the private channels.
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 08:49 GMT
There's one on TV5 who reads the news. The others are reporters.
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 08:51 GMT
but i think TV5 is private; is it nic?
nic   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 10:36 GMT
Mi5 Mick,

It must be because there are only 5 channels you can access for free are : Arte/LA Cinquième (the afternoon only), TF1, France 2, France 3, La 6.

So logically TV5 (if you use its real name) must be private. As you have observed there are not so many "coloured" people on french Tv. Don't you have that feeling?
Jordi   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 10:48 GMT
Nic,
Is it because 90% of French population is not "coloured" or do you feel minorities should have a wider representation? It's a difficult issue.
Real Estate Agent   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 10:54 GMT
I was in a London shopping mall today and saw houses for sale in Spain... quite cheap actually. Spaniards beware, the invasion is on!
Farmer Joe   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 10:55 GMT
Why not a Black Swede?

-because to me that sounds like a rotten turnip!
Spanish Embassy in London   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 11:02 GMT
The last one to leave the Isle please switch off the light.
Real Estate Agent   Thursday, September 09, 2004, 11:03 GMT
I might just hang out here then, if everyone is leaving then prices will plummet and I can buy up the whole Island!