Truespel

Distinctions   Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 20:07 GMT
''So amongst phonemic spelling reform proposals, which Truespel is claimed to be, is it a good one? Truespel is based only on the author's American accent. Truespel has no way of spelling /o/ ... though it does seem to leave room for it's addition. However, the merger of certain other phonemes is inbuilt into Truespel.''

''It is not possible to represent my Australian accent in Truespel; nor can you represent the RP accent ... as for Scots ... forget it. Indeed there are many accents that Truespel ignores. For example, in Truespel, "merry" and "marry" are spelt as if they were both homophones of "Mary" for me they are not. I pronounce "merry" and "marry" as /meri(:)/ and /m@ri(:)/. There is no way of spelling either of these in Truespel. It is not simply that Truespel does not represent my accent: it cannot.''

How would it be if we just ignored all of the phonemic distinctions not made by everyone and only included phonemic distinctions made by everyone in a spelling reform?

It sure would get crazy.
Mike   Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 22:17 GMT
''How would it be if we just ignored all of the phonemic distinctions not made by everyone and only included phonemic distinctions made by everyone in a spelling reform?''

Well, some Cockneys pronounce [th] as [f] and [TH] as [v]. So, you'd have to get rid of ''th''.

In my accent the vowel sound in ''cot'', ''caught'' and ''father'' is the same.

In my accent there's no distinction made between [@r], [er] and [e..r] so, for me ''marry'', ''merry'' and ''Mary'' are pronounced the same.

In non-rhotic accents ''r'' is only pronounced at the beginning of a word, in a cluster or between vowels. So, that ''father'' and ''farther'', ''caught'' and ''court'', ''peninsula'' and ''peninsular'' are pronounced the same.

In my accent there's no distinction made between [ir] and [i..r] so, for me ''serious'' and ''Sirius'' are pronounced the same.

In my accent there's no distinction made between [^r] and [e:r] (both sound like [e:r]) so, for me ''furry'' and ''hurry'' rhyme.

''It sure would get crazy.'' Yes, it sure would.
Spell the words how they sound   Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 23:19 GMT
Jim, what about this proposal idea I've seen proposed before? Is it better than truespel. Is at as good as your proposed system?

bdfghjklmnprstvwyz-use unchanged

a-cat, fast
aa-father
au-caught
e-set, get
i-kit, fit
o-top
u-but, hut
y-alike, arrest, suspect, object, soda
uu-wood, should, put

ae-day
ee-see
ie-fight
oe-low
ue-cue

oi-coin
oo-boot
ou-how
ai-yeah
ea-idea

R-sounds

ar-car, bar, starry
aer-care, fair
eer-cheer, clearer, clear
or-core, form
ur-fur, furry, fern, bird, hurt
oor-tour
uer-cure
er-better

Double the ''r'' to make the vowel short.

Diagraphs

ch-chip
dh-then
ng-sing
sh-ship
th-thin
hw-when, white, while, where, what, which, whisker, wheel, whilst

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Here's how these sentences come out in their system,

''Mary dear, make me merry, say you'll marry me'',

becomes,

''Maeree deer, maek mee merree, sae yool marree mee''

'''''''''

''He is going to marry merry Mary''

becomes,

''Hee iz goeing too marree merree Maeree''

'''''''''''''''''''''''''

''What my father told the court he had wanted was not to be caught with a quart of water in the cot of his daughter all hidden away in the cart of his brother''

Becomes,

''Hwut mie faadher toeld dha kort hee had wontid wuz not too be kaut with a kort uv wauter in dha kot uv hiz dauter aul hidyn ywae in dha kart uv hiz brudher''.

''''''''''''''''''''

''I don't know what they've written on that wall or who wrote it so I can't tell you who did all that vandalism.''

Becomes,

''Ie doent noe hwut dhaev rityn on dhat waul or hoo roet it soe Ie kant tel ue hoo did aul dhat vandylizym.''

'''''''''''''''''''''''

How are these sentence respelled in your phonemic system, Jim? Both your crazy one and you're newer improved one?
Jim   Wednesday, September 15, 2004, 23:38 GMT
Mary dear, make me Mary, say you'll Mary me.

http://www.alt-usage-english.org/mmm_rf.wav

http://www.alt-usage-english.org/mmm_bc.wav

I'm from Sydney Australia. These are both recordings of my voice. I can change my voice easily. I don't know why but I can.
The Real Jim   Thursday, September 16, 2004, 03:01 GMT
I don't understand the motivation of this person who is faking me.

I am from Sydney, Australia, this is true. Those are not recordings of my voice. Most people can change my voice easily. I don't know why: we've evolved that way.

"How would it be if we just ignored all of the phonemic distinctions not made by everyone and only included phonemic distinctions made by everyone in a spelling reform?"

It would get crazy. Things might get really easy to spell but you'd have a pretty hard time trying to read anything.

"How wud it be if we just ignord al av va fanemik distinkshynz nat made bie evrywan and only included fanemik distinkshynz made bie evrywan in a spellin reform?"

It wud get crazy. Finz mite get rilly eesy tu spel but yu'd hav a pritty had time tryin tu reed enyfin.
Distinctions   Thursday, September 16, 2004, 03:22 GMT
"How wud it be if we just ignord al av va fanemik distinkshynz nat made bie evrywan and only included fanemik distinkshynz made bie evrywan in a spellin reform?"

''It wud get crazy. Finz mite get rilly eesy tu spel but yu'd hav a pritty had time tryin tu reed enyfin.''

Oh, all of the intial ''h's'' would disappear because Cockneys don't pronounce them.

thin-fin
fin-fin
thing-fin

''Spelling has just gotten very easy but reading is very difficult now.''

Speling az just gotan vairy eezy but reedin iz vairy difficult now.
Sanja   Thursday, September 16, 2004, 14:18 GMT
Just don't mess with spelling, I want it to stay the same. :P
Ghoti   Saturday, September 18, 2004, 22:39 GMT
''I am from Sydney, Australia, this is true. Those are not recordings of my voice. Most people can change my voice easily. I don't know why: we've evolved that way.''

We haven't evolve in anyway, stupid. We did not evolve, stupid person.
Ghoti   Saturday, September 18, 2004, 22:44 GMT
''I am from Sydney, Australia, this is true. Those are not recordings of my voice. Most people can change my voice easily. I don't know why: we've evolved that way.''

We haven't evolve in anyway, stupid. We did not evolve, stupid person.

Typo- I meant - We haven't evolved in anyway, stupid. We did not evolve, stupid person.

Atheists are stupid people. Atheists object to the idea that the Earth needs a live creater but don't object to the idea that their house needs a live creator.

Why do atheists object to the idea that the Earth needs a live creator but don't object to the idea that their house needs a live creator.

Why don't atheists similarly object to the idea that their house has to have been created by a live creator.

The Earth- Live creator was God.
Your house - Live creator was the builder
Jim   Monday, September 20, 2004, 23:50 GMT
The topic is Truespel and spelling reform, Ghoti, not evolution ... but then, I suppose if you can't tell the difference between a house and the Earth ...