meanin?

General_Ricardo   Saturday, September 25, 2004, 05:05 GMT
Eminem said in a song:
"I been chewed up and spit out and booed off stage"
What's that mean?
mjd   Saturday, September 25, 2004, 08:02 GMT
What he's saying is that he has endured hostile audiences in the past.

When an audience doesn't like a performance, they will "boo" to show their displeasure.
General_Ricardo   Saturday, September 25, 2004, 09:09 GMT
co0ol
I now understand the meanings of "spit out" and "booed off stage" but not chewed up! according to my dictionary, "chew" means: to work (food,etc) between the teeth in order to crush it. How the hell would he be "worked between the teeth". lo0ol
Plus is "off" a prep for "stage" or "booed"
ty
Damian   Saturday, September 25, 2004, 10:42 GMT
General:

"Chew" does mean that regarding the food you are eating..you're correct, technically....another more formal word for it is "masticate.....NOT to be confused with another similar sounding word, by the way!

What Eminem means by "chewed up and spit out" is to be very upset and angry by being jeered at, yelled at, booed and hissed at and then dismissed as crap in his performance. He leaves the stage after all the booing, so he is "booed off".

It's the same principle as you chewing on a tough bit of gristly meat and spitting it out ..... in a polite fashion though I guess.

I'm not saying Eminem deserves that too much.....I love rap, but I'm not too overboard over his misogynistic, homophobic style though. That's when he gets "chewed up" sometimes I reckon. ;-)
General_Ricardo   Saturday, September 25, 2004, 21:46 GMT
wow,
thnx Damian, excellent explantion.
One last question. Since "booed off" is one term, isn't there supposed to be another prep before "stage" like "on stage" like he got booed off on stage?
Someone   Sunday, September 26, 2004, 05:13 GMT
No... "Booed off stage" is just a phrase. You can think of it as "booed off (of the) stage."
Jim   Monday, September 27, 2004, 01:38 GMT
It's a metaphor. Eminem says he's been treated like that gristly meat.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=50141&dict=CALD