Help!The bottleneck in my process of learning English

cooltravis   Monday, September 27, 2004, 06:01 GMT
i have another question. i have learnt English for at least eight years, same as the common students in China. However, i am aware that i couldn't speak and write english very well. Some teachers say ESL students should memorize not only the words and phrazes but also some sentences or paragraphs, but i didn't believe in this method and never tried it. i think i have a bottleneck in my process of learning English.
Thanks for your commention and communication!
Steve K   Monday, September 27, 2004, 06:06 GMT
Do not bother trying to memorize. Read and listen a lot. Observe the language. Start noticing the words and phrases. List them. Use them. But mostly find a way to enjoy yourself with the language. Develop an interest, history, music, travel whatever. Learn from language that you find interesting. Use the Ineternet to join chat rooms. Download content to listen to. Enjoy yourself, do not memorize, relax and take the language in. You will do better.
cooltravis   Monday, September 27, 2004, 06:29 GMT
sometimes i listen to the internet broadcasting such as VOA and BBC. The standard VOA or BBC is so fast and i just can grasp some information. i am attending the training course"American Accent Training Course". I hope that will be helpful in listening and comprehending the VOA and BBC efficeintly.
Steve K   Monday, September 27, 2004, 15:40 GMT
Ideally you can read what you are listening to. You also need to work on the words and phrases that you find in your reading and listening. These are some of the features we have built into our system. I am suspicious of specialized courses like "American Accent Training Course".