japanese and austronesian

Andrew   Tuesday, September 28, 2004, 05:45 GMT
I've read that one of the most popular theories on the origin of the Japanese language, especially in Japan, is that it's a hybrid of Altaic (Mongolian, Turkish, and likely Korean) and Austronesian (Indonesian, Tagalog, and the Polynesian tongues). I saw one forum about the Japanese language where a guy remarked on how he thought certain Indonesian customs were rather similar to those in Japan, and showed what he thought were similar grammatical customs (i.e., doubling a word to make a plural). But I don't know either Japanese or Indonesian, so could anyone who does know those languages state their opinons?
Steve K   Tuesday, September 28, 2004, 12:54 GMT
Yes to the Altaic. The other component is the Jomon language which has some affinity with some Austronesian altho I think nothing hs been proven. Ethnically the japanese are about 70% Northern Asian and 30% Jomon. But the Jomon also came to Japan from North asia . But people moved around in those days, what with Ice Ages waxing and waning, continental landbridges, game moving around etc. There is a theory that some of the Native Americans have Jomon DNA in them.