The ''c/k'' sound vs. the ''ck'' sound. ''yak'' and ''yack''.

English Tom   Tuesday, October 05, 2004, 19:27 GMT
Do you pronounce ''yak'' and ''yack'' the same?

I pronounce them differently. I pronounce ''yak'' with the ''c'' sound in ''cat'' and I pronounce ''yack'' with a long version of [x] i.e. [x:].

yak-[j@k]
yack-[j@x:]

I was wondering if anyone else makes a similar distinct. For me, word pairs like ''Patric'' and ''Patrick'' are also pronounced differently. I'm from Liverpool.

I pronounce ''trucker'' as [tr^x:..].

Also, ''tax'' and ''tacks'' are distinct in my accent,

tax-[t@ks]
tacks-[t@x:s]
Patric-[p@trik]
Patrick-[p@trix:]

For me, ''ck'' is a diagraph that represents the [x:] sound.
yakhead   Tuesday, October 05, 2004, 23:43 GMT
How do you pronounce your name?

Answer: [dikhed]
English Tom   Tuesday, October 05, 2004, 23:51 GMT
Yakhead, If you pronounce your name as [dikhed] then why don't you spell it ''dikhead''?
Jim   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 00:51 GMT
I make the distinction. I'm from Sydney Australia.

Here's how I pronounce ''dickhead'',

[dix:hed]

yak-[j@k]
yack-[j@x:] (in my accent)
English Tom   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 00:54 GMT
Jim, That's interesting that you make the distinction between ''c/k'' and ''ck''. I've never heard anyone outside of Liverpool make it. How common do you think the distinction is?
Smith   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 00:56 GMT
I definitely make no distinction between ''yak'' and ''yack''. I'm American.
Joe   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 01:00 GMT
''yak'' and ''yack'' are homonyms. English Tom, I don't know what you're trying to tell us but there's no [x:] in Tom's Chart. So, that means that the sound doesn't exist in English.

No one pronounces ''yak'' and ''yack'' differently. That's just silly.
mjd   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 01:02 GMT
Yeah, neither do I.

How is the [x:] sound formed? I'm not too sure whether I'm clear on the sound in question.
English Tom   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 01:10 GMT
mjd, [x:] is a long version of the ''ch'' sound in ''loch''. It is used in my accent in ''ck'' words to distinguish them from words that have ''c'' or ''k'' in them. So, that's how I distinguish ''yack'' from ''yak'' and ''Patrick'' from ''Patric''.
English Joe   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 01:20 GMT
mjd,

The [x:] that these dickheads are (or, more probably, this single dickhead is) crapping on about would be like the IPA's [x] (as in the Scottish pronunciation of "loch") but longer. Could you do us a faver and check whether this English Tom really has a Liverpool IP address?
Ryan   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 01:23 GMT
I pronounce ''yack'' and ''yak'' differently.
Ryan   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 01:25 GMT
Typo-''I pronounce ''yack'' and ''yak'' differently.''

I meant, I pronounce ''yack'' and ''yak'' the same way.
English Tom   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 01:29 GMT
''Could you do us a faver and check whether this English Tom really has a Liverpool IP address?''

I'm not presently in Liverpool at the moment. I'm on a laptop.
English Joe   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 04:51 GMT
Sure you are, English Tom, sure you are. And I'm the King of Spain.
Random Chappie   Wednesday, October 06, 2004, 08:15 GMT
Oh, Joe! Pooh, pooh! You can't possibly say that a sound doesn't exist in English if it isn't on Tom's chart, which is restricted to the General American and RP accents!

The x: sound exists in many dialects, including Scottish and, as I have learnt from English Tom, Scouse as well. It does not exist in my dialect but I am perfectly capable of pronouncing the sound.

I pronounce "yack" and "yak" the same. I'm from Southern England. (Oh, if you want to check my IP address, I'm presently in California right now and have been living here for four years, but I really am *from* England.)