J.K.'s accent sample

Tom   Thursday, October 07, 2004, 23:26 GMT
J.K. has e-mailed me asking me to post his/her accent sample so that everyone might review it.

http://www.antimoon.com/temp/jk.mp3
J.K.   Friday, October 08, 2004, 06:03 GMT
Thanks Tom!

Well, I am waiting for your comments people.
J.K.   Friday, October 08, 2004, 11:33 GMT
Would you please rate my accent! This is really important to me so I can improve...
J.K.   Friday, October 08, 2004, 22:22 GMT
Oh boy! Is my accent totally incomprehensible or what?

Come on people, rate my accent and tell me where I went wrong and were I went right!

Tom, mjd, Clark, Jim, CalifJim, Damian, Ben, James, Tremmert, Juan, Steve K, Adam, Bayou Rover, Easterner, Mi5 Mick, or Mxsmanic? Just anybody...

I have to say that I feel I speak so poorly that nobody wants to bother writing a comment...
Egg   Friday, October 08, 2004, 22:43 GMT
I can hear it but it is quite unclear...
wherev are you from?
Boy   Friday, October 08, 2004, 23:05 GMT
J.K:

I just wonder if you can record the sample again and try to speak slowly this time around. You spoke too fast.
Mi5 Mick   Friday, October 08, 2004, 23:22 GMT
You generally sound fine. There's a bit of a drawl (like in "light") or maybe a slur connecting your words but that could be because you're trying hard to steady your flow and pronunciation. That's the only major issue as I hear it.

Less critical issues: your first "the" sounds like "de", rainbow ~ rainbü:, something ~ somefing, look ~ lük.

I could be more critical if the quality of the recording were better.
J.K.   Saturday, October 09, 2004, 09:41 GMT
Thanks all of you!

Mi5 Mick,
Thank you for the critic, but what about my accent; do I have a strong accent?

Well, I can make a clearer version but I thought it is inappropriate to ask Tom twice to post a voice sample for it takes some storage space.
Is it ok to post another sample?
Titti   Saturday, October 09, 2004, 12:42 GMT
I, too, would like to post my speech sample here and let everyone comment on it. I think it would be nice if we could upload our samples somewhere on the Internet and post their URLs here. (It's more convenient than having to send them to Tom and have him post them here.)

Anyone knows any sites that let us do this? (I don't have my own website.)
Titti   Saturday, October 09, 2004, 12:49 GMT
I mean the sites where I can upload sound files and get their URLs for public access for free.
Steve K   Saturday, October 09, 2004, 14:22 GMT
You pronounce OK,but it is not clear. It is as if the individual sounds are OK but when it comes together it is a little difficult to understand.

You need to enunciate more clearly. You need to pronounce the final consonants in words more distinctly. My advice. Do some reading out loud in a loud voice . This time exaggerate the pronunciation. Pronounce each syllable as clearly as you can. Do this until the muscles of your mouth get tired.

Then record yourself again.
Tom   Saturday, October 09, 2004, 16:27 GMT
You're welcome to go ahead and send me another recording.
Joe   Tuesday, October 12, 2004, 19:08 GMT
I'm not an expert at distinguishing accents, and at times it goes from Scandinavian in sound (particularly in Look and the way you emphasize certain words) Like I said I'm not an expert, and sometimes my first impression is better than when I listen to it over and over and start thinking too much.

Regardless of the origin, like Steve said you need to enunciate and perhaps read a bit more slowly. Definitely practice a bit on the more complex words that seem to be mangled as you get to them.

Just remember that we all go through it in whatever language we practice!
Withercraft   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 23:08 GMT
I agree with Joe ragarding you accent
Saddie   Monday, October 18, 2004, 17:11 GMT
I couldn't understand anything...frankly, you suck!