Forget languages?

abc   Friday, October 15, 2004, 03:29 GMT
I would be so bumed out if tomorrow morning I woke up and I was still 5 years old, ie my whole life has been a dream. Anyway, do you think I would still remember English even if I learned it in a dream?
Sanja   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 15:38 GMT
LOL, no I don't think so. Sometimes I dream the whole song that I haven't heard in 10 years and I remember all of it in my dream, but when I wake up I don't remember anything. Sometimes I even write my own song when I'm asleep and when I wake up I forget it...LOL :)
Ruth   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 16:43 GMT
I was born in the United States but when I was 6 years old I moved to Ecuador where I grew up and spoke Spanish. While I was growing up in Ecuador I was forgeting the english language and when I noted that I had troubles with my english I had to learn it again. But, let me tell you that I remember people in the school, where I was studing, talking to me using english language (of course) and I understood and spoke english too. My adult spanish brain process all these english memories to spanish but I know that all those words stored in my memory when I was child are english. I'm concious that I have to learn more english and day after day I try to spend some time to learn it.
Boy   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 18:36 GMT
My brother-in-law has also forgotten his native language. He had moved out to the states when he was 17 years old. He spent most of his life there. He is now 37 years old. He can speak the language, but he can't read and write in the given language. What a shame!
Sanja   Monday, October 18, 2004, 16:15 GMT
I think if you move to another country at the age of 17 and spend 20 years there, you shouldn't forget your native language unless you never use it again, and even in that case you would still remember a lot of it. At least I would.