Re: "over my head"

General_Ricardo   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 11:24 GMT
>>General_Ricardo: "maybe I'm a little bit over my head"
How could you be "over your head"?

>>D: "It's an analogy to swimming. Young children, especially, are told not to
"go in (the water) over your head." Later in life it's used to describe a situation that you can't deal with effectively. "

>>Margaret: " Agreed. The obvious phrase would be 'I'm in over my head'. Adding 'a little bit' has confused the writer as to where to put the 'in' so they've left it out all together knowing that readers will 'get the gist'. "
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well Margaret, I don't think anything got me confused. I think it's the other way around; you're confused. check this out: http://www.dapslyrics.com/display.php?sid=7292

"Maybe I'm a little bit over my head
I come undone at the things he said
And he's so funny in his bright red shirt
We were all in love and we all got hurt
I sneak into his car's black leather seat
The smell of gasoline in the summer heat
Boy, we're going way too fast
It's all too sweet to last "
General_Ricardo   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 11:27 GMT
anyone want to input? Because I think what D says makes sense ' don't go IN over your head' and thus Margaret was right too. But that doesnt' agree with the lyrics of the song.
Mi5 Mick   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 13:30 GMT
I agree that it should be "I'm IN (a little bit) over my head" but the idea is the same anyway. English isn't a perfect science and so you're bound to find small deviations from the straight and narrow.
Ailian   Thursday, October 14, 2004, 14:33 GMT
That just went way over my head.... ;)
General_Ricardo   Friday, October 15, 2004, 01:26 GMT
aha, so the artist just took off 'in' for lyrics porpuses only. Right?
General_Ricardo   Friday, October 15, 2004, 01:28 GMT
see that's why i like white music, cuz unlike black music, I can pick some of the sentences or words. and when Margret said that i got confused I looked for the lyrics and made sure that i picked the right sentence, which made feel better
Mi5 Mick   Friday, October 15, 2004, 02:42 GMT
In the world of lyric writing, effected by drug use, alcoholism... anything's possible!
Mi5 Mick   Friday, October 15, 2004, 02:44 GMT
* effected -> affected (same pron. in my accent)
Damian   Friday, October 15, 2004, 21:47 GMT
Many things are over my head....literally ;-(
abc   Friday, October 15, 2004, 23:58 GMT
i was completely submerged in a cess pit a few weeks ago.
Mi5 Mick   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 02:08 GMT
How did you manage that feat?
abc   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 04:54 GMT
I was bmx-ing at a sewer plant where one of my friends works, and my friend dared me to try a grind on the rim of a big open tank of sh*t for 25 euros. I accepted the challenge and 20 seconds later I found myself completely submerged in murky slimy water that tasted like sh*t. My bike had got caught on the ledge. I think that swimming out of that was the fastest swimming of my life! When i got home I had an hour shower and annihilated my moulth by all the mouthwash i drank.
oh well it was and interesting expirience, and at least i managed to get my 25 euros out it but how is that for being in over my head?!
Mi5 Mick   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 09:09 GMT
hehe...!

:)
Damian   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 09:29 GMT
abc:

Guess you landed right in the sh...itsu dogs are really cute.
Did you spend the 25 euro on deodorants? Are your friends happy to get close to you now? ;-)
abc   Saturday, October 16, 2004, 23:47 GMT
My friends are jealous because they have never expirienced the joy of swim in sh*t... at least I don't work in that filthy hole. lol