Does the word ''fire'' have two syllables?

Jose   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 01:14 GMT
Does the word ''fire'' have two syllables? fie-er?
Mxsmanic   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 01:27 GMT
I think so.
Q-cumber   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 01:35 GMT
i pronounce it with one syllable. it sounds almost the same as the word far.
Smith   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 02:51 GMT
Q-cumber, do you really pronounce ''fire'' the same way as ''far''? I pronounce ''fire'' as ''fie-er'' [fai-..r] and ''far'' as ''fahr'' [fa:r].
Easterner   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 09:54 GMT
I pronounce it in a non-rhotic way, as "faiah", with an /aI/ sound and a schwa in the end, still for me it is one syllable rather than two (because the schwa is a relatively weak vowel). In a rhotic accent it seems to me to be definitely one syllable.
Jim   Monday, October 18, 2004, 02:49 GMT
I pronounce it as two syllables: /fai-../.
Easterner   Monday, October 18, 2004, 17:28 GMT
It is really difficult for me to decide, for me breaking it into two syllables seems a little artificial, and prosodically it seems to be one syllable - well, maybe one and a half, because of the schwa in non-rhotic speech. This may be due to the diphthong which may almost be molded into one long consonant in whatever dialect. It depends on how long the dipthong is pronounced, I think- if it is shorter, the second part is more prominent.
Damian   Monday, October 18, 2004, 21:35 GMT
Yes, for most people, as Jim says. Unless you went to a posh public school, you live in a mansion in Surrey, and Daddy is something big in the City, in which case you would simply say "fah".
Ailian   Monday, October 18, 2004, 23:39 GMT
> Yes, for most people, as Jim says. Unless you went to a posh public
> school, you live in a mansion in Surrey, and Daddy is something big in
> the City, in which case you would simply say "fah".

Or, at the other end of the spectrum, if you're a poor American Southern farmer, in which case you say /far/ (or /f@r/).