horse and hoarse, war and wore

Juan   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 02:53 GMT
Are these two words pronounced the same way? What about ''war'' and ''wore''? My dictionary told me the ''horse'' and ''war'' have the ''awe'' sound, and ''hoarse'' and ''wore'' have the ''owe'' sound.
Mi5 Mick   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 03:10 GMT
In my accent,
war and wore: ~ wô(r)
horse and hoarse: ~ hô(r)s
Where ô is like your Spanish o as we've discussed before.

I don't understand the "owe" sound. Is it an American dictionary?
Juan C.   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 03:33 GMT
I'll write my name as ''Juan C.'' to avoid confusion. I'm a Juan too.
Juan   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 04:10 GMT
Cool no probs, just so there aren't any misunderstandings.
Joe   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 05:40 GMT
A typical Florida accent (not the Southern one, however) will have a noticeable enough difference between war and wore. I wouldn't say there is a large enough difference between horse and hoarse except I would tend to accentuate the oar sound.

I would say wore with an deeper O sound. It's slight, but there's a difference.

I don't know how the dictionary is giving an owe sound for hoarse and wore. There's nothing like an owe sound in either word.
mjd   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 06:52 GMT
All of those words have the same vowel sound in my accent, but none of them rhyme with "owe" or "awe."
Mi5 Mick   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 07:19 GMT
mjd

I thought "lawn" and "lorn" rhymed in your NY accent. How is "aw" different from "or"?
mjd   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 07:56 GMT
New Jersey's accent is a bit different and we tend to speak with a rhotic accent (this can vary depending on one's proximity to NYC).

It's difficult for me to evaluate my own accent. I do pronounce the "r" in "lorn," so they don't rhyme for me.
Mi5 Mick   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 08:44 GMT
mjd

I see. Actually, I just meant the vowel /o:/ (or other) in those words. So it might be /lo:n/ for lawn and /lo:rn/ for lorn. But I think what you meant was, a vowel before "r" makes it difficult for you to evaluate.
mjd   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 17:22 GMT
I'd say the vowel sounds are almost exactly the same for me in "lawn" and "lorn," except the presence of the "r" in "lorn" changes the sound a little bit.

I didn't mean to include "awe" up top in my vowel sounds that don't rhyme. "Owe" definitely doesn't fit for me, but the my vowel sound in "lawn" and "awe" are the same.
George   Sunday, October 17, 2004, 21:15 GMT
In my South Carolina accent there's a difference between ''horse'' and ''hoarse'', ''war'' and ''wore'', ''corps'' and ''core'' etc.

horse-[ho:rs]
hoarse-[hOurs]

war-[wo:r]
wore-[wOur]

corps-[ko:r]
core-[kOur]
Steven   Monday, October 18, 2004, 00:50 GMT
I'm from Northern Florida and I pronounce ''horse'' and ''hoarse'', ''war'' and ''wore'', ''corps'' and ''core'' etc. the same.

I've never heard anyone pronounce them differently.
Tiffany   Tuesday, October 19, 2004, 18:35 GMT
I'm from Southern Florida (Miami to be precise) and I pronounce all those words the same, except war and wore

"A typical Florida accent (not the Southern one, however) will have a noticeable enough difference between war and wore."

So this is true for southern Florida!

war has somewhat of a slight short "a" sound, not exactly phonetically war, but the phonetic war and "wore" mixed together for me. I do not know how to describe it.