[h] and [x]. Phonemes or allophones?

Billy   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 01:52 GMT
Would you call the [x] in ''loch'' a phoneme or an allophone of /h/? I say it's a phoneme but it could equally just be an allophone of /h/.
Jim   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 03:49 GMT
It's either an allophone of /k/ or it's own phoneme depending on your dialect (or idiolect). It's definitely its own phoneme in some parts of Britian (notably Scotland) but generally not so outside.
Mxsmanic   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 04:27 GMT
[k] is an allophone of [x] in standard pronunciations.
Jim   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 05:42 GMT
By which Mxsmanic refers to Mid-western USA, RP and (maybe) Esturay English but definitely not Scottish nor Welsh nor Cornish.
Mxsmanic   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 19:34 GMT
Yes.
Fisherman   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 22:18 GMT
''It's either an allophone of /k/ or it's own phoneme depending on your dialect (or idiolect).''

Jim, What is the difference between a dialect and an idiolect. Aren't they the same thing?
Jim   Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 23:48 GMT
Mxsmanic,

Just making things clear.

Fisherman,

An idiolect is the language, the grammar/pronunciation/vocab./etc., of an individual person. A dialect is the language of a group of people.
Phil   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 01:19 GMT
''An idiolect is the language, the grammar/pronunciation/vocab./etc., of an individual person. A dialect is the language of a group of people.''

So, therefore, the correct thing to say would be that the phoneme /K/ exists in my idiolect and not my dialect.

Does /K/ exist in your idiolect?

Also, how many phonemes are in your accent or in English. See linked thread,

http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/5904.htm
Jim   Thursday, October 28, 2004, 07:50 GMT
I might exist in your dialect ... if you're Scottish, for example.
Jim   Friday, October 29, 2004, 00:09 GMT
"I might exist in your dialect ..." I think not. Typo: "It might exist in your dialect ..."
James Rose   Friday, October 29, 2004, 15:58 GMT
Well since [x] only appears in one word in English, that being loch, it seems impossible to believe that they are not allophones. Unless someone can find me a minimal pair where they assign different meaning.
Jim   Monday, November 01, 2004, 00:01 GMT
Och y' cannae right on that one laddie ... only one word? Nay. And by the way, "loch" and "lock" mean different things.
Billy   Monday, November 01, 2004, 01:54 GMT
I think James Rose was talking about [x] and [h] not [x] and [k].

[h] only ever occurs at the beginning of a word and [x] only ever occurs at the end of a word and they are very similar sounds too. So, therefore you could say that [x] and [h] are allophones.

[x] and [h] sound similar enough to be considered allophones.
Jim   Thursday, November 04, 2004, 03:37 GMT
Only most people who don't use [x] would use [k] in its place. Hence if you've got no [x], then it's an allophone of /k/ not /h/.
Paul   Friday, November 05, 2004, 15:48 GMT
I agree.
I pronounce the word "or-chid"
with [x]
most people pronounce it with a [k].

Regards, Paul V.