Putting tenses together

Steve K   Friday, November 19, 2004, 17:11 GMT
Instead of nit-picking minor issues, spend time reading and listening to good English and your language will improve naturally.
Shun   Friday, November 19, 2004, 18:02 GMT
> Instead of nit-picking minor issues,
> spend time reading and listening to
> good English and your language will
> improve naturally.
>
I am doing just this, here. Thank you very much.
Shun   Friday, November 19, 2004, 18:05 GMT
Thank you for your discussion.

Both Mi5 and Tiffany didn't object the use of Present Perfect. I then want to explore more of this situation.

If it is true that we shall use "says" instead of 'said', how shall we explain this use of Simple Present? Is the saying not finished? Or is the saying a habitual action? If there is a good reason for using "says", it is much better. But there seems to be no such reason.

Your opinion is welcome.
Tiffany   Friday, November 19, 2004, 21:30 GMT
I do object to the use of Present Perfect - I think it sounds awkward.

That being said, I think "says" is used with "have recommended" because "have recommended" is in a present tense (present perfect). I think it is a simple reason.
Shun   Saturday, November 20, 2004, 08:05 GMT
Thank you Tiffany,

To tell the true, no one will think ExA is awkward.
ExA: "Last week we went to a new store department and bought many things. I have recommended it to Ms B." Present Perfect says something outside Last Week.

But if the sequence is long, it will be awkard:
ExB: "Last week we went to a new store department and bought many things. I have recommended it to Ms B. But she says she knows the store."

The longer the sequence, the more absurd:
ExC "Last week we went to a new store department and bought many things. I have recommended it to Ms B. But she says she knows the store. I ask why she hasn’t told us earlier."

My argument here is, ExA is not awkward. Do you agree?