How can I speak a fluent english?

Rita   Monday, November 15, 2004, 07:38 GMT
I don't have lots of oppotunity to speack in english. But I insist on exercising listen english. But my listen is so poor. Alway can not improve.How can I do?
Devendra   Sunday, November 21, 2004, 09:01 GMT
I want to learn to speak fluent English
Steve K   Sunday, November 21, 2004, 17:03 GMT
Make sure that you listen to content that you like, not deadly textbook content. Make sure that you listen to the same content over and over again. Make sure that you can read the text of what you are listening to. Read on the computer so that you can look words up quickly and save them to a list for regular review. Then go back to listening again. Listen and read a lot, but for enjoyment and out of interest.The more you do this the more your language will improve, in all aspects.

Then write using your new words and phrases. Have your writing corrected. Notice your errors and look for similar phrases in your reading and listening. Develop the skills of the autonomous learner. Spend as little time as possible in classes and with text books.

The best place to do all of this is, of course, www.thelinguist.com. Sorry but it is true.
soni   Monday, November 22, 2004, 04:02 GMT
I have tried to rent some VCDs to improve my listening skill. But, when I listened to the conversation, I got almost nothing but a string of 'weird sound'. Maybe because the conversation was too difficult to hear, at least to difficult for my ears to hear. The actors and actresses spoke too fast in the movies I rented.

What should I do?
Boy   Monday, November 22, 2004, 22:25 GMT
Soni,

I don't know where you are from. I live in Pakistan. I have just recently read in a local newspaper that now "friends" all episodes are available on CDS/DVDS. I guess they contain lots of dialogues and interesting language expressions to learn. I'll try to buy them and watch them. I notice that comedy and talk shows have a great deal of influence on improving one's listening because people talk non stop in that without a pause. Your ears start picking up fast-paced conversations once you expose them to English related stuff. I watch movies in my computer when I have leisure time and sometimes I try to watch the same movie again just for catching up some words again.

To be frank, I find out repeating 1 minute "mp3" files extremely boring. In my opinion, You get yourself watched some real stuff. I mean comedy and talk shows or sometimes listen to English songs if you feel like nothing to do.

check this site out! There are listed some short mp3 files.
http://www.dreamdoctor.com
soni   Tuesday, November 23, 2004, 04:04 GMT
Well, I think I need to find a website that explains more about "commonly used phrase" in English. I mean, a sentence like this: "coming up next..." as always be said in a news. I think there're a lot of something like that.

Thanks.
Sarah   Tuesday, November 23, 2004, 13:15 GMT
why dont you get a job in a tourist area? that way you can earn money and practice your languages. The language you learn from english speakers will be different to what is written in textbooks. Put it into practice.
soni   Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 03:09 GMT
Unfortunately, I already have a job :-).
Brennus   Thursday, November 25, 2004, 08:02 GMT

Don't forget that it is important to also have a good education if you wish to speak any language fluently. You will find that even adult Americans with fourth or fifth grade level educations rarely speak English very well (i.e. fluently) even though it is their native language and often the only language they have ever known. I remember one poor guy about 40 years old once saying on a metro bus "You can't never tell what the weather's gonna be like in Seattle." Factually, he was very correct about Seattle's weather but the use of double neagatives in standard English is a no-no and definitely tells other people who speak the language something about your social status and level of education.
Tommi   Thursday, November 25, 2004, 08:37 GMT
yeah,i agree with Brennus.the importance of the language is in its use.if you never put it into practicing and expressing ideas,what does the language use for?Say nothing of the correctness of authority of the standard English.A farmer from wales only knows even about 300 vocabulary,but this does not affect his communication with 300 words by listening and speaking.
Navid   Thursday, November 25, 2004, 12:17 GMT
one of the most important problems english learners face is that they cannot speak fluently. i think it is not your fult . it refers to the system of teaching. i am an iranian .studying language-and have this problem-
all of us when began to learn english obligated to use books without picturs and just written words-sentences and... / then we memorized them and we made some sentences. so the real consept of it which is sth we call it <image> never influenced in our minds-instead of this image which is a picture of a real form we memorized some written forms .this is why when we speak english .it seems that we read through
passages and texts. but that part of our brain which uses your hands to write on a blank sheet is not that fast to use our mouth to speak fluent
as i said it was just one of the problem. so what is the solution?
1- never memorize anything in language learning just use the words
2- never try to write before you become a fluent speaker.
3- never translate the concepts of the english language into your own language in your mind.
4- try to speak more and more .as our friend said use the language.
5- try to use common american idioms or phrases
navidkhorshidi@yahoo.com
Sere   Thursday, November 25, 2004, 23:30 GMT
Get a few english friends to speak to! No better solution... :(