preposition

bubu   Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 10:24 GMT
Hallo,

I found this instruction in the note book of a student.

[Use "not" of the following]
'
I wonder if "of " is correct in this sentence. and the word "following" should be in plural form

Please Comment.
Steve K   Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 11:43 GMT
The sentence only makes sense if "of" is substituted by "in". If you have never seen the word "followings", which I suspect is the case, why would you try to make "following" plural ? Dot not think of using words or word forms that you have never seen. Become observant of the language.
Steve K   Tuesday, November 16, 2004, 11:45 GMT
The point is that the best language learners do not think and do not ask why. They just absorb by listening, watching and using. They do not try to understand. They do not bother with the rules invented by the explainers.
bubu   Wednesday, November 17, 2004, 01:02 GMT
Dear steve

I agree with what ever you have said. But I was just curious to know whether the use was correct. let me rewrite me question.

Use 'not' of the following:

I have read that book
I asked him
we went there

I found the above mentioned things in the note book of a student. Some teacher had instructed his students to turn the above sentences in to negatives

But I have a doubt with the instruction"use not of the following". Is 'of' the right preposition?
And is the world 'following' correct in this situation?or should it be replaced by "followings" since there are three sentences to be turned into negatives

plz comment