which are right?

Hahoo   Saturday, November 27, 2004, 05:02 GMT
Do you agree on bringing a speaker?
Do you agree to bring a speaker?

I just created a poll in our yahoo group.
I just created a poll on our yahoo group.
----------------------------------------------
which ones sound better?
Brennus   Saturday, November 27, 2004, 08:13 GMT

Re: Do you agree on bringing a speaker? - Sounds okay but I'm not an English teacher this is just my own Sprachgefuhl.

Do you agree to bring a speaker - Sounds okay. Would be a more common way of saying it than your previous sentence.

I don't know how other readers on this site feel about it but my Sprachgefuhl says that "to create a poll" sounds wrong. "To take a poll" is correct. You could take a poll ON a yahoo group but it is much more likely that someone would take a poll IN a yahoo group.
Jacob   Saturday, November 27, 2004, 19:02 GMT
In your first pair, the second one (Do you agree to bring a speaker) is correct, if you're asking one person whether or not they will bring a speaker.

To 'agree to' do something means to gives one's consent or confirmation. I agree to bring a speaker, if you agree to pay me $10 an hour to rent it.

The other version (Do you agree on bringing a speaker) could conceivably be correct if you're talking to TWO or more people, and asking whether or not they all have the same opinion on an issue. "Do you (all) agree on bringing a speaker" means "Do you (all) have the same opinion about whether or not we should bring a speaker?"

To 'agree on' an issue or question means to share the same opinion about the issue: "She's easy to talk to, because we always agree on the most important topics." Or, "Several people have proposed using a new textbook this year. Do you all agree on this?"

--

In the second pair, either "in a Yahoo group" or "on a Yahoo group" sounds OK to me. Usually we use the expression "in a group", but on the other hand we usually use "post (a message) on (a bulletin board or forum)." An internet group behaves both like a group of people (which takes "in") and like a bulletin board (which taken "on").

--

And, of course, "create a poll" and "take a poll" are two entirely different things.
Hahoo   Sunday, November 28, 2004, 06:51 GMT
thnx guys.
Jacob,
so what's the difference bw "create a poll" and "take a poll"
Brennus   Sunday, November 28, 2004, 07:18 GMT

Hahoo,

Your welcome. I just home the way I explained my views aren't confusing. Sprachgefuhl - A German word in linguistics which means "a native speaker's own feeling about the correctness of a word in his / her language.".
Brennus   Sunday, November 28, 2004, 07:20 GMT

Ahem! Your should be You're. Unfortunately this site doesn't allow you to edit.
Brennus   Sunday, November 28, 2004, 07:22 GMT

"Home" should be "hope" Oh, boy! I think it's my bedtime now...
Jacob   Sunday, November 28, 2004, 12:07 GMT
'Create a poll' is to design it, or post it there in the first place.
'Take a poll' is to give your answers to the poll.

"I created a poll on our Yahoo group and so far 60 members have taken it."

"Who was that on the phone?"
"Some lady that wanted me to take a poll. I didn't have time to answer all those questions."

--

That's not quite the whole story because you can also use "take" in the following sense: "We took a poll of 10,000 users, to see what they like." In that case "take a poll" means to administer, or carry out, the polling process. That's still not synonomous with "create" because you can create (that is, design) a poll without giving it to anyone, and you can administer the questions without having designed them.