help with a letter

bubu   Saturday, December 04, 2004, 09:52 GMT
hallo!!

Dear Sir,
Our tennant wants to have a new telephone connection. And the phone authority needs a no objection letter from us.

Can any one write this letter in professional way.

Thanks in advance
Brennus   Saturday, December 04, 2004, 22:22 GMT

Dear Bubu,

The easiest way to do this would be to submit a rough draft of a letter yourself on this web site. Than other people can read it and do a rewriting (*rewrite) for you or offer suggestions.

*rewrite - sounds more folksy; more Amurican.
Brennus   Saturday, December 04, 2004, 22:23 GMT
Than should read as 'Then'.
Damian   Saturday, December 04, 2004, 23:46 GMT
Bubu:

Suggestion:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Telephone ***** Company
Address

Date

Dear Sir

We have been asked by our tenant if he/she may have a telephone installed in his/her flat/apartment, and as required by yourselves, we confirm that we have no objection to such a connection being made, subject to all the usual conditions.

Yours faithfully

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this will be helpful.
Damian   Saturday, December 04, 2004, 23:49 GMT
Sorry: minor amendment:

"flat/apartment, and as required by yourselves,"

change this to:

"..flat/apartment and, as required by yourselves, we confirm.....
bubu   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 01:29 GMT
Thank you very much Damian

Brennus,

you are right, I should have done that.Then I could have found where it needed a correction. but it's too late now. Damian has already helped me with the letter.

But I would still like to write what was in my mind.

Dear sir,

with all due respect I should like to state that Mrs. shivani Dash, who has been residing in our house as a tennant for the last few weeks, requires a new telephone connection. And I hereby declare that I don't have any objection to the installation of a new phone.

your sincerely

Dear Brennus and Damien, could you plz comment on the letter I have written ?
Tiffany   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 02:23 GMT
Dear Sir/Madam,

Mrs. Shivani Dash, who has been residing in our house as a tenant for the last few weeks, has requested a new telephone connection. I have no objection to the installation of a new phone line.

Sincerely,
________

My two cents - just be short and concise.
Brennus   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 08:24 GMT

Dear Bubu,

I think that Tiffany has boiled down your original draft and reworded it very well. Damian has also done a good job although his sounds more legalistic.
Damian   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 09:08 GMT
Bubu:

Yes, Tiffany has made a good revision of the letter.

Remember the correct spelling of "tenant" though, Bubu. "Tennant" is actually a personal surname/last name, and also the name of a beer in this part of the world, after the name of the brewery making the stuff! ;-)

I am not sure of the accepted form elsewhere, but here in the UK anyway, when you end a letter you are supposed to put "Yours faithfully" if you start with "Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam".....in other words, the standard formal non-personal way.

If you start with a the name of the person you are writing to, eg "Dear Paul" or "Dear Laura", then you should end it with "Yours sincerely". I know that this may not be the case in other countries, such as the USA where I think they use different forms like "Yours truly" or just "Sincerely" as Tiffany did.
Damian   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 09:10 GMT
Spot the (non-deliberate) error in my last posting, Bubu (beginning of the last paragraph)! Just testing.... sorry anyway!
bubu   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 00:52 GMT
Damian,

Sorry for being late in responding to your post. I was busy.

As to spotting the error, I found only one "....a the name ...".

Have I passed the test??
Bubu   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 22:36 GMT
Damian !

Are you there? Plz let me know if you were refering to the error I have spotted in my last post.

Thanks
Robert   Friday, December 10, 2004, 03:34 GMT
Hola soy mexicano, y quisiera saber si alguien habla español para poder contacrat para saber mas de este sitio, ya que me interesa bastante

saludos !!!
Miguel   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 20:14 GMT
Hola Robert, yo soy español, pregunta lo que quieras. un saludo.
johan   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 16:32 GMT
just an f.y.i. if you are still reading this thread.

The phrase "with all due respect" is used only before disagreeing with someone (of higher authority usually). The idea being that you are about to criticize someone's judgement and are trying to be as respectful about it as possible.

i.e. "With all due respect, I do not think your thesis on monkey evolution was your most convincing."