Most annoying mispronunciation

Jim   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 01:08 GMT
How do you know, Ghoti, that it all wasn't one big big typo on my part?
Jim   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 01:10 GMT
Jim   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 01:13 GMT
The Real Jim   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 03:17 GMT
Obviously someone is having fun. Yes, I wrote the above ... once.
Ty   Thursday, December 09, 2004, 17:03 GMT
It bothers me when people pronounce "W" as dubba-u.

It's double-U
Billy Joe   Sunday, December 12, 2004, 13:12 GMT

Here's the correct pronunciation of ''toward'' javascript:popWin('/cgi-bin/audio.pl?toward01.wav=toward')

It's not that silly spelling pronunciation ''tuh-ward''. You're not going to a ward when you're going toward something. The ''ward'' in the word is not seperate.
Jim   Monday, December 13, 2004, 02:39 GMT
Annabelle   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 00:50 GMT
Before my name was changed to Annabelle, it was Annaleia. What really bothers me about my old name is that I'm the only one who knows how to correctly pronounce it. My family has pronounced it "Annalayah" for most of my life, and I must tell you, that's wrong! Even people who have known me for years have pronounced my name as "Annaleesa", Aneelya", "Anna Leea", and "Annailya", and I must tell you, they're Wrong, Wrong, and Wrong again! The first A in Annaleia is supposed to be pronounced like the A as in "Father", not the A as in "Cat". So it should be "Onna", not "Anna". The second part of Annaleia, the E I is supposed to be pronounced like the I as in "Pie", not the A as in "Bay", and not the E as in "Leisure".. So it should be "Lya", Not "Layah", and not "Leea". So my former name is supposed to be pronounced "Onna Lya", not "Annalayah", and not "Anna Leea"..
Clem   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 00:56 GMT
Who are you and where do you come from?
Tiffany   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 01:01 GMT
If you reayyl wanted people to pronounce it correctly, why didn't you just change it to Onna Lya? I would have gotten that. You can't really blame people since your name is not very phonetic. Of course, I will wait to see what country you are from... Maybe it is phonetic there, but certainly not in English.
Annabelle   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 01:46 GMT
My name is Annabelle and I'm from The United States Of America. The Name Annaleia has no origin or nationality. Because it's not really an actuall name you'd find in a book of Baby Names. Therefore, people shouldn't just determine that the pronunciation they give is correct. Onna Lya is the correct pronunciation and that is final!
Jim   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 02:08 GMT
Being Aussie I'd misread "Onna" as [on..] not [a:n..]. Perhaps the spelling "Ahnaliya" would be easiest it understand.
Adam   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 02:24 GMT
If you want your name to be pronounced in a different way then it is spelled then why spell it that way in the first place? Just an observation, but in the US your name would not be pronounced the way you want it to be, at least not by reading it. Where does this pronounciation come from, by the way?
Annabelle   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 03:27 GMT
Onna Lya is possibly an American pronunciation. The Name itself is supposed to be of unknown origin, but I believe it's an American pronunciation. The name Annaleia was just a crappy made up name that my father bestowed upon me, and he ought to be ashamed of himself, because the name means "Worthless Failure"!
Wayne   Thursday, December 16, 2004, 22:00 GMT
The most annoying mispronunciation is when Southerners mispronounce ''pen'' as ''pin''. There's an ''e'' in the word and so that means that it should be pronounced with the ''e'' sound in ''pet'' not the ''i'' sound in ''pit''.