The word 'Eavestrough'

Alison   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 02:23 GMT
Hello, I thought I'd pose a question to all of you as a matter of curiousity..while at work yesterday, I was discussing with our maintenance staff that an 'Eavestrough' on one of our apartment buildings needed to be fixed. Their reaction? "A What?" Me: "The know, the draining pipe from the roof". Their answer: "Oh, you mean the downspout". I have always referred to this pipe as an 'Eavestrough'.

When referring to a dictionary online, it basically said this word was only used in Canada (is this true?), very interesting indeed. My mother is from Wisconsin, and I know she uses the word Eavestrough as well. I thought everyone called it an Eavestrough. I live in Virginia.

My question to everyone - is this term used in the UK, Australia, and New Zealand as well? Everyone with whom I've debated with here seems to think I'm the only one who uses that term (that I somehow made it up LOL). I'm curious to see what you all have to say, thank you :)
Tiffany   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 02:25 GMT
I can't comment on the UK, Australia or New Zeland, I'm from the US - I have never heard etiher the word "eavestrough" or "downspout". I call it a "gutter".
it had seen   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 02:26 GMT
never heard of it before
Alison   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 02:31 GMT
Thanks Tiffany. Guess I'm the only American who says "eavestrough". My husband is from Minnesota, and he says "gutter" as well. Maybe someone from Canada can help me out on this one? Or am I truly..dare I say it, alone on this one??
Adam   Sunday, December 05, 2004, 03:52 GMT
I'm from Canada, I say eavestrough. I also say rain gutter.
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:05 GMT
In Australia it's called a "gutter". I've only ever encountered the word "eavestrough" in Canada.
Keep spelling the way it is.   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:14 GMT
In American it's called a gutter as well.
Adam   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:17 GMT
Well it is a trough on the eave of the house, makes sense doesn't it?
Ed   Monday, December 06, 2004, 02:50 GMT
Well, different places use different words. For example, in upstate NY people don't know what rubber band is. They use some other word. In NYC we say rubber band.
Jim   Monday, December 06, 2004, 03:51 GMT
Sure, it makes enough sense but it does sound odd if you're not used to it.
santa's helper   Monday, December 06, 2004, 04:16 GMT
send your letter to santa,
Steve K   Monday, December 06, 2004, 05:07 GMT
Eavestrough...and in Vancouver they are put to good use.
Erimir   Monday, December 06, 2004, 08:24 GMT
I've only heard "gutter". I've lived in Cleveland and North Carolina.
Oxon   Monday, December 06, 2004, 14:31 GMT
UK term= downpipe
Steve K   Monday, December 06, 2004, 17:31 GMT
eavestrough = gutter, downspout = downpipe