similar quarters?

all potted out   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 06:29 GMT
What does "across similar quarters of the year" mean in "Our staff attempts to break our own records month-to-month and across similar quarters of the year"?
I found thousands of articles mentioned about "similar quarters" on the internet.
But still can't figure the meanig out...
Brennus   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 07:21 GMT

I think It could refer to the four seasons of the year or the four academic quarters of the year in a college. It all depends on the context. Of course, wait for further replies.
Jacob   Tuesday, December 14, 2004, 14:44 GMT
Businesses often report their financial status on a quarterly basis; that is, four times a year.

There are seasonal patterns in business; the winter quarters may always be much busier and more profitable than the fall quarters. So it wouldn't make sense to compare your winter quarter performance to previous years' fall quarter performance; you would compare it only to SIMILAR quarters (other winter quarters) in previous years.

In other words, these people are trying to do better in each quarter than they've ever done in that quarter before.

(Note that the quarters of a fiscal year don't necessarily correspond precisely to the four seasons of the year, but it simplifies the example.)
all potted out   Wednesday, December 15, 2004, 04:19 GMT
Thank you for your edtailed explanation.
I got it now!!^_^