Italian in Trieste

Harvey   Friday, December 17, 2004, 16:48 GMT
Here is one for the all the former Yugoslavians here. At one point, about 50 years ago, I understand that the majority language in the city of Trieste was Italian. Was it the same Italian as spoken in 'mainland' Italy or was it a regional dialect? Which dialectical group would it have belonged to?
Tiffany   Friday, December 17, 2004, 17:23 GMT
Unless I'm mistaken, Trieste IS a city in Italy. One of my godd friend's, Georgia, is from there - and yes, she speaks Italian (along with a few other languages, but what is important is that her mother tongue is Italian). The city borders Slovenia and she has told me there is indeed a big Slovenian population there. Are we talking about a different Trieste? Sorry, the first thing my mind wanders to is the city in Italy.
Steve K   Friday, December 17, 2004, 17:40 GMT
Harvey, are you referring to Rijeka (Fiume)
Harvey   Friday, December 17, 2004, 17:42 GMT
Sorry, you are absolutely right. I'm embarrassed.

The source material I was looking at was old... done at a time when Trieste's status was still up in the air. The southern part of the Trieste region went to Yugoslavia, with the Italian speaking city of Fiume.

So I guess, my questions actually are about Fiume. Although I am still interested in the regional dialect spoken in the region.
Jordi   Friday, December 17, 2004, 17:55 GMT
Look up Venetian, the Italic dialect of Venice, with quite a prestige until Standard Italian took its place.
ved   Saturday, December 18, 2004, 14:55 GMT
Rijeka is the third-largest Croatian city and, therefore, most of its inhabitants speak Croatian. However, there is an Italian-speaking minority. I believe their dialect would be similar to Istrian Italian, which, in turn, might be sth. like Venetian.