Short Form of Than

Ignitus   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 19:50 GMT
Hello everyone,

While reading some quotation I've noticed the use of { 'n } as a short form of "than". Is that true?

As in the word { more'n }...and in case it is not then what does it stand for?

Thank you
Paul   Tuesday, December 21, 2004, 20:16 GMT
That is not an accepted contraction. It's possible that it was used in Old English/ Middle Age English, but I've never seen than contracted to 'n

'n' is usually a contraction of "and" ie: Fish and Chips is often contracted to Fish 'n' Chips.

You'll likely see the 'n' contraction on display signs and products, but it should never be used in formal writings.
Ved   Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 06:22 GMT
This contraction was not used in Old or Middle English either.

However, we do pronounce "than" something like "thn" in normal speech. The vowel is reduced in most cases and it is not the "a" in the word "cat".
Ignitus   Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 10:16 GMT

"I don't hold no grudges more'n five years" William Kennedy, American novelist and screenwriter, and it was mentioned in the movie "Ironweed".

If it doesn't mean "more than" so what does it mean?
Johan   Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 10:16 GMT
Do you have the full quotation? It is possible the sentence was written phonetically to convey more accuratly how the words sound together. Or it could be written phonetically to capture a person's accent. The only logic I see in writing "more'n" is that "more than" ends up sounding that way when spoken at a normal rate of speech. The "th" sound is still there, but is kind of lost between the "r" sound and the "n" sound. an example would be: "that is more than enough" sounds more like "that is more n enough". In any event, as has already been posted, this isn't a valid contraction in English.
Johan   Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 10:17 GMT
oops "accuratly" should be spelt "accurately"
Johan   Wednesday, December 22, 2004, 10:21 GMT
Aha. I do not know who William Kennedy is, but indeed it is written that way only for style. Perhaps to convey his personality.
Ignitus   Saturday, December 25, 2004, 06:37 GMT
Thank you all for your answers.

Johan, I guess I am totally convinced with your opinion, thanks for clearing that up to me.