What are learners of English taught to call Coke, Sprite, etc.?

american nic   Monday, January 10, 2005, 01:06 GMT
I know this is one of the few examples of difference in English, with different people calling Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Root Beer, etc. soft drink, pop, soda, coke, sode pop, and other terms. I am curious as to what people who are taught English are told to call it. I know in Minnesota it's pop, and people who call it soda here are made fun of.
Paul   Monday, January 10, 2005, 01:18 GMT
I'd guess 'soft drink'
Adam   Monday, January 10, 2005, 01:20 GMT
I think they are taught to call it whatever the person who is teaching them calls it. At the school I work at I would tell anyone who asks that it is called pop. I don't think it is something that is given much thought when people are learning English.
Someone   Monday, January 10, 2005, 01:29 GMT
I would teach both "soda" and "pop". "Soda" because it's used in most parts of the U.S., and "pop" because it's used in other countries.
Xatufan   Monday, January 10, 2005, 02:40 GMT
I study English at school. My book uses the word "cola". This is curious, because in this part of the Spanish world we use the word "cola" too!
lucky   Monday, January 10, 2005, 03:14 GMT
we're told to call it 'coke'.

here, we've been refering to the black drink as only 'cola' no matter it's Cocacola's or Pepsi's. it's fixed.

and English teacher group tries to correct us "cola is brand name, you should use coke instead of it. at least when you are overseas"
Someone   Monday, January 10, 2005, 03:22 GMT
In CA, most people would think you were talking about cocaine or Coca Cola instead of a generic soft drink.
Tiffany   Monday, January 10, 2005, 04:24 GMT
I was taught to call it soda. I don't make fun of anyone who calls it pop, but most people that say soda would think people who ask for pop were asking for a lollipop or something.

Also, Coke here is slang for Cocaine, but if a waitress or server asks you what you want and you reply "Coke" he/she will bring you name brand Coca-cola. It's the same for all the drinks. If you say "Pepsi", you get Pepsi. "Sprite" for Sprite.
Brennus   Monday, January 10, 2005, 06:48 GMT

Re: "Coke, pop, soda, sprite etc. ---There are some regional differences here. I was told by a former boss of mine from Ft. Worth that in Texas and the South "Coke" is the generic word for any kind of soft drink. Dialectologist Bert Vaux's linguistic maps seem to confirm this. In the rest of the United States, according to dialectologisits, it is mostly "soda" with pockets (or isoglosses) of "pop" and "juice".

Once, I knew a guy from Buffalo, New York who called any kind of soft drink or fruit drink "juice".

I live in the Seattle area where "pop" and "soda" were used equally by the population in the 1950's, 60's and 70's. However, since the 1980's "soda" seems to be taking over. It's considered the more suave or sophisticated word to use now.
Rob   Monday, January 10, 2005, 10:33 GMT
I prefer having a glass of Bourgogne, thanks lot but no coke for me, it's bad for my diet. I makes fat.
Xatufan   Monday, January 10, 2005, 17:46 GMT
I don't drink coke/soda/pop/cola either.

Isn't 'coke' a brand name? I thought it was.
Cro Magnon   Monday, January 10, 2005, 19:16 GMT
Yes, Coke is a brand name. When I ask for Coke at a place that just serves Pepsi, they always ask "Is Pepsi ok?".
Tiffany   Monday, January 10, 2005, 19:21 GMT
Same here, Cro Magnon. Coke and Pepsi are both brand names. Imagine someone who used Coke for all soft drinks. Q:"What kind of coke would you like?" A:"Coke!" ?!?!?!
Tom K.   Monday, January 10, 2005, 20:43 GMT
Check this out, if you haven't already:

http://www.popvssoda.com
Jim   Tuesday, January 11, 2005, 02:52 GMT
"I think they are taught to call it whatever the person who is teaching them calls it."

I think Adam's got a point there. What students are taught depends very much on the teacher ... kind of obvious really.

"Imagine someone who used Coke for all soft drinks." Well, I can't say for sure because I'm not from Southern USA but it seems to me the solution would be easy enough.

Q: "What kind of coke would you like?"
A: "Coca Cola."

For the rest of us here are a few definitions:

Coke: Coca Cola
coke: cocaine
cola: Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola or some similar teeth-rotting substance

In a perfect world when you ask for "Coke" in a restaurant/bar/etc. which doesn't stock it you'd be asked whether the alternate cola would be acceptable but in the real world you'll often be served the alternate cola without being asked (and not be expected to complain).