Estuary English pronunciations

nayeem   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 05:30 GMT

Hello . We'll know that Estuary English is a handshake between the RP and Cockney English accents . I speak RP English . Is there anyone to help me learn the Estuary accent ? All the dictionaries use RP English for British English pronunciations . Instead of listen to uk tv presenters ( i don't live in the uk ) , i would prefer to receive mails listing the details and mostly , an Estuary speaker himself , to contact me .Thank u .
Street   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 10:48 GMT
Estuary English is a dumbed down version of RP.
Fred   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 12:28 GMT
nayeem, continue to speak with your RP accent. Do not dumb down your accent by speaking Estuary English.
Damian   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 13:39 GMT
nayeem:

It depends on several factors. First, what age group are you in? Do you intend to come here to the UK for a short while and if so, whereabouts? If it's to the South or South East of England and you want to mix socially with your peers if you are the same age group there then you will find that Estuary is quite common, and varying in degrees, among the natives so to speak. But even so, I don't see why you should try to mimic them. You probably do speak RP but I would like to bet that you have a distinctive accent as well? I have no idea where you are from and your name does suggest some likely origins.

My advice is not to change the way you speak English now..stick with your present RP with whatever accent you have. Maybe you do have a genuine sounding British style RP accent, and meeting you for the first time people will think you have lived all your life in leafy Surrey commuter land. Stick with, pal.

Just what is it about Estuary that attracts you anyway? Maybe you are able to view East Enders and are trying to decipher the dialogue?
Fred   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 13:49 GMT
''Just what is it about Estuary that attracts you anyway? Maybe you are able to view East Enders and are trying to decipher the dialogue?''

Damian, as I said Estuary English is a dumbed down version of RP. There's no reason to dumb down your accent. Stick with you're RP accent.

One annoying feature of Estuary English is the use of a glottal stop instead of an intervocalic ''t'' in words like ''butter'', ''better'', ''party'' etc.
Fred   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 13:52 GMT
''Stick with you're RP accent.'' Of course I'm saying this nayeem, not you Damian.
Easterner   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 15:19 GMT
I agree it is not wise to give up RP for Estuary. The former is more elegant and also more common for all age groups, while Estuary, as I see it, is peculiar to one particular age group (mostly under 30's) and is not yet the "common British accent" (if you ask me, I wouldn't like it to become, either). I have always associated RP with England and would even prefer speaking Cockney to Estuary.
Fred   Sunday, January 23, 2005, 15:21 GMT
''I agree it is not wise to give up RP for Estuary.'' Yeah, you're totally right. It's not wise to dumb down your accent. Estuary English is a dumbed down version of RP.