Does ANYBODY understand the poetry of Robbie Burns?

Harvey   Tuesday, January 25, 2005, 16:03 GMT
Today (as of posting) is Robbie Burns day. On my drive into work this morning I heard three Burns poems recited on the radio and I have absolutely NO idea what any of them were about.

I just saw a couple of his poems written out and I understood them a bit better, but they still looked like bad poetry to me.

My questions are why are we still reciting and honoring Burns's poetry? Does any current English speaker understand this guy?

Why bother with him, when there are a lot of other (seemingly better) poets who go entirely uncelebrated?
Ed   Tuesday, January 25, 2005, 17:10 GMT
It's Robert, not Robbie - you didn't play with him as a child, did you?
Harvey   Tuesday, January 25, 2005, 17:36 GMT
Maybe so. But on the radio here (in Canada) they were calling it Robbie Burns day. So there!
Joanne   Tuesday, January 25, 2005, 20:36 GMT
You didn't understand it at first because Burns wrote in a Scottish dialect, not in the standard English of his day. The guy is Scotland's national poet, after all.
Jim   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 08:12 GMT
That's life: one thing is celebrated whilst another more worthy thing goes unmentioned: it happens all the time. Is there an Isaac Newton Day, an Albert Einstein Day, a Ghandi Day, a William Shakespear Day?
Damian   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 14:36 GMT
25 January:

Burns Night last night was as good as ever! A Burns supper: cock-a-leekie, haggis (after it has been addressed...not genuine else!)..steak pie and then the tipsy laird followed by a wee tassie or two. *The Selkirk Grace is a must too and all this in honour of our great RABBIE. To end it all, Auld Lang Syne sung in the CORRECT traditional style..."We'll tak a cup o'kindness yet, for auld lang syne!"

None of that "for the sake of ALS" or "In days of ALS!" nonsense! hee hee! We keep it in the original Rabbie style.

*The Selkirk Grace:

"Some hae meat and cannae eat
And some wad eat that want it:
But we hae meat and we can eat,
And sae the Lord be thankit!"

-------------------------------------------

"Nae man can tether time or tide;
The hour approaches Tam maun ride;
That hour o'nights black arch the key-stane,
That dreary hour he mounts the beast in;
And sic a night he taks the road in
As ne'er poor sinner was abroad in.

The wind blew as 'twad blawn its last;
The rattling show'rs rose on the blast;
The speedy gleams the darkness swallow'd;
Loud, deep, and lang, the thunder bellow'd;
That night a child might understand
The Deil had business on his hand."

A fave on Burns night...Tam o'Shanter...telling of Tam's nightmare meeting on a stormy, thunder cracking ear splitting nightmare meeting with spirits from the other world.

"nae" = no
"maun" = must
"stane" = stone (as if you couldn't guess!)
"'twad blawn" = would have blown
"lang" = long
"Deil" = Devil
Damian   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 14:38 GMT
Addendum:

"sic" = such

sorry for missing that one.
Harvey   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 14:39 GMT
So... you DO call him Rabbie... not Robert (a point for which I was chastised by our good friend Ed)?
Damian   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 14:45 GMT
Harvey:

I forgive your comments, you are entitled to your opinions, but nevertheless if the opportunity ever presented itself, you would be more than welcome at a traditional Burns Night Supper here in Alba, and if you really wish it, you could have Rabbie's poems explained to you and then you may, just may, revise your impressions. ;-)

He lived from 1759 to 1796 and quite a lad he was, to be sure....maybe why he died so young..... Anyway, he was a man of his time and of his native land so naturally he wrote in his Ayrshire dialect, as Joanne pointed out.

Hae a guid one!

PS: Alba = Scotland
Damian   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 14:47 GMT
Harvey:

Yes! In Scotland he is universally called Rabbie. Don't forget to roll your "Rs" btw!
Damian   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 15:04 GMT
I don't mean to be hostile to my Scots friends.

It's just that for years I have been hearing Auld lang syne without being able to figure out exactly what it's about. Perhaps you could translate for us.
Damian   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 15:56 GMT
I think the last poster put my name in the box instead of his/hers! Dinnae fret...I've done that before myself...such an easy thing to do.

Show your face and I will explain Auld Lang Syne!

Regards

The Authentic Damian ;-)
Harvey   Wednesday, January 26, 2005, 16:07 GMT
You're right Damian. I meant to direct the comment to you, but my name got lost in the shuffle somewhere.
Harvey   Friday, January 28, 2005, 14:55 GMT
Hi Damian... If you have time I would still appreciate your explanation. Thanks!
Pat the Expat   Tuesday, February 01, 2005, 00:23 GMT
I was hoping you would answer this Damian.