A word that I cannot remember

rich7   Sunday, February 13, 2005, 09:46 GMT
I was watching Animal planet the other day when the host of this program called Crocodile hunter said somethig like this:

"the ("rambocious") goats were frolicking on the prairie"

The in parenthesis word is not exactly spelled. I just heard it.
Is there a word in the English language that can be place here.
In other words, what's the correct spelling?

He also used this: "hey mates have a (gal)" meaning: have a look.
But then again what is the word he meant here?, take into account that he is from Autralia.

thanksss...
Tom   Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:48 GMT
rambunctious
Jordi   Sunday, February 13, 2005, 18:49 GMT
Probably, "hey mates, have a glance".
rich7   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 05:24 GMT
Rambunctious, that's the one, thanks.

As to "have a glance" I'm not sure, doesn't sound like it.
Someone   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 05:36 GMT
Perhaps he said "gander".
James   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 05:54 GMT
have a "geeze" - I don't know the spelling but it's the "g" in "gal".
rich7   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 06:06 GMT
By the way, this Irwing guy is from Autralia right? but what parts, I mean because of his accent kind of thick don't you think?
Someone   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 06:11 GMT
It's "Irwin". He was born in Victoria. I got that from here. http://www.crocodilehunter.com/crocodile_hunter/about_steve_terri/index.html
rich7   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 06:26 GMT
So fast, thanks, I will take a look later on. but What do you think of his accent? How does it sound to you?
Bill   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 06:31 GMT
>>So fast, thanks, I will take a look later on. but What do you think of his accent? How does it sound to you?

Don't like it. Even my friends from Sydney don't like the way he talks.
rich7   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 06:45 GMT
Ok then, but why don't you like it? does it sound low-class, rude, rought maybe? does he have an impoverish background?
Bill   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 07:32 GMT
Steve Irwin's overexaggerated Strine accent is a caricature of the laid-back, nature-loving Aussie from the outback stereotype that the more cosmopolitan Australians tend to avoid. (Sort of like how non-Americans imitate the American dialect by appropriating an exaggerated Texan drawl, much to our dismay). I found this out when my Sydneysider friends came for a visit. When the "Croc-Hunter" came on television, my lady friend shrieked, "Oh my god! I hope you guys don't think that we don't all talk like that!"

Personally, I think Irwin's accent is annoying and sounds childish. As another lady friend once told me, "Australian accents used to be sexy, until Steve Irwin killed it."
rich7   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 07:47 GMT
Thaks you've truely made my perception a big wider of the Australian accent.
Jim   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 07:58 GMT
Or is it just the tall poppy syndrome? Steve makes a bundle with his accent and everyone gets jelous. I've never been bothered by his accent. The thing is that there are people who speak like this naturally it's not exaggerated for them. In the end, it's just an accent.
rich7   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 08:10 GMT
By "tall poppy" you mean appealing or..? I remember watching an interview with Irwing on the E channel and let me tell you everybody went crazy about him, no wonder is so famous, I live in south America and we know him pretty well.