"Time to Rescue BBC English" - your thoughts?

Duncan   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 03:06 GMT
Time to rescue BBC English

Last month at the British Library, as part of the admirable series of poetry evenings organised by Josephine Hart, Edward Fox and Dame Eileen Atkins presented a reading of ‘Four Quartets’. It is not eccentric to declare Eliot’s long poem, composed between 1935 and 1942, as the greatest written in English since the death of Tennyson, and it is certainly the greatest English poem of the last century, conjoining, as it does, the language, landscape and history of this country. Fox and Atkins, sensitive to its music and grave beauty, gave a memorably lustrous performance.

Afterwards, however, the gratitude that one felt for hearing Eliot’s resonant, mysterious language spoken with such sympathy was disturbed by what the writer, in another of his famous poems, called ‘an overwhelming question’: how often does one hear the world’s greatest language spoken with respect by its native speakers? Not often in England, that’s for sure.

It is not only on the streets of our cities (and, increasingly, our villages) that the verbal barbarians have taken over, with their glottal stops and rising inflections. Turn on the radio or the television, and anybody who cares for the sound and meaning of the English language must recoil with horror at how it is abused by those who make a living from speaking it. Although it is our greatest gift to the world — and the world has not withheld its thanks — too many English people are either unable to speak it clearly, or, in the case of a metropolitan media class tainted by inverted snobbery, they refuse to.

This is not a matter of accent, though it must be said that the number of bogus proletarian voices on the airwaves has reached epidemic proportions. Has anybody heard the continuity announcers on the BBC recently? Plenty of broadcasters have spoken with distinctive accents, and many, notably Benny Green, were first-raters. Compare Green, whose London voice was genuine and warm, with the ghastly Jonathan Ross and you can see how far we have slipped. Where once there was elegance of delivery, now there is cultivated oikism.

No, it is to do mainly with language: the colour, weight, clarity, rhythm and articulation of words. Their meaning, in other words. For every presenter or reporter who speaks clearly, like the much mocked Ed Stourton, there are half a dozen guilty of elision, omission, addition and exaggeration. Familiar words, names and places are mispronounced. Verbs are left to fend for themselves — ‘troops arriving in Iraq’. The letter T (either ignored, or pronounced as a D, as in ‘alodda’) is a lost cause. Even Andrew Marr, the BBC political correspondent and a well-spoken man in most respects, cannot say, ‘going to’. Instead he says — emphatically and repeatedly — ‘gunner’.

Ah, ‘well-spoken’. There’s the rub! The most persistent foot-soldiers in this Kulturkampf are those middle-class types who feel that by speaking poorly as a matter of principle they are expressing solidarity with that mythical sub-culture, ‘real people’. Writing in this magazine recently, Charles Moore (who speaks well, as Etonians should) observed that Ruth Kelly delivered a ‘breathtakingly graceless’ speech at a Spectator Parliamentarian of the Year lunch four years ago ‘in an accent which she would never have had while at Westminster School’. Of course she did. It would never do for an ambitious Blairite to be seen consorting with enemy forces. The assumption of an alien voice was her crass way of saying, ‘I belong elsewhere.’

The Prime Minister himself is familiar with this stratagem. His popular touch is not infallible (they didn’t do ‘demotic studies’ at Fettes) but it doesn’t stop him trying to sound like a pop star, which is really what he has always wanted to be. Man of the people and all that guff. As Anthony Burgess, who spent most of his adult life abroad, said, on one of his last visits to this country, ‘Only in England is the perversion of language regarded as a victory for democracy.’

These daring new democrats have established their base camp at White City, and their centre of operations is Five Live, an outlet dedicated almost entirely to the brutal suppression of decent English. Other than the outstanding Brian Hayes, who is Australian, and Nicky Campbell, the cocky Jock, the station is awash with mediocrities who enjoy nothing more than speaking out of the corner of their mouths and upsetting the balance of every sentence by emphasising the wrong syllable. But even in this undistinguished gathering it is possible to identify the worst offender. Step forward, Susan Bookbinder, newsreader and (so she insists on reminding listeners every few minutes) Manchester City fan.

This lady’s finest hour came two years ago, after the death of Adam Faith. In the course of a single sentence, ‘born on a council estate in west London, he was determined to make something of himself’, she managed to put an incorrect stress on five syllables — ‘born’, ‘west’, ‘he’, ‘some’ and ‘him’. Even by Five Live’s lamentable standards it was a virtuoso performance. Perhaps she ex-changed high fives with her pro-ducer later.

Can we expect the BBC to take the lead in banishing Bookbinder to the boondocks, and restoring good English to the airwaves? Mark Thompson, the director-general, should remember what Auden said about the first duty of poets, which was to act as ‘custodians of the language’. If he doesn’t know what that means, he can turn to Eliot, who commended a world in which ‘every phrase and sentence is right’, with this amplification:

...where every word is at home,
Taking its place to support the others,
The word neither diffident nor ostentatious,
An easy commerce of the old and the new,
The common word exact without vulgarity,
The formal word precise but not pedantic,
The complete consort dancing together.

The Thompsons and Kellys of this world may feel that ‘the complete consort’ sounds intolerably high-minded, that it is terribly ‘middle-class’ to impose high standards of speech on listeners in our value-free, multicultural society. Nor are they alone. A government-funded study led by Professor Richard Andrews of York University has concluded that the teaching of grammar in schools is largely a waste of time. So we are breeding another generation of gibbering halfwits.

In an ideal world it would be the BBC’s bounden duty to equip all employees, on their first day at work, with two literary masterpieces: ‘Four Quartets’ and Orwell’s essay ‘Politics and the English Language’. Until that blessed day dawns, can Jimmy Savile fix it for Fox and Atkins to read the news?
Kirk   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 03:16 GMT
Haha...a good laugh. The tone of that article sounds like it should've been written two centuries ago at the height of the prescriptivist movement, as the article has nothing to do with linguistic fact. Language changes--it doesn't get perverted or degenerated. The BBC's changing styles reflect how the language is changing.
Evan   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 06:42 GMT
Estuary English 'is destroying British drama'

Actors say they are alarmed by obsession with regional accents, reports Chris Hastings

It is enough to have Professor Higgins spinning in his grave. A shortage of actors who can speak "posh English" is destroying the quality of British drama, according to some of the country's best-known actors.

Dame Eileen Atkins, Prunella Scales, and the Oscar-winning screen writers Ronald Harwood and Julian Fellowes argue that greater emphasis should be given to received pronunciation rather than encouraging regional accents.

They believe that an obsession at drama schools with regional speech patterns combined with a decline in education standards has produced a generation of actors incapable of playing the great classical roles.

The shortage is now so severe, they warn, that some scripts have had to be rewritten to accommodate the actors' limited vocal skills. Producers also have difficulty casting parts for children who speak "properly" and have had to bypass stage schools in favour of private schools where standards of English are higher.

Dame Eileen, 70, star of films such as Gosford Park and Cold Mountain and a forthcoming adaptation of Vanity Fair, said that young actors needed to master received pronounciation if they were to have any chance of taking on the great roles. The alternative, she warned, was a career playing parlour maids.

Dame Eileen, born a Cockney, had no qualms about changing her voice. "The kids at drama school today are told that if they lose their accent or fail to use it all day and every day they will lose their soul. That is simply not true," she said.

"My argument is that I was brought up with lino on the floor. Does that mean I always have to have lino on the floor? I was brought up in a council house. Does that mean I have always got to live in a council house? Can we not change our minds about something? Have we got to stay - for the sake of political correctness - in the same mindset as our childhood? Of course we don't. So why shouldn't people change their voice?"

Dame Eileen said that received pronounciation was vital for bringing energy to a performance. The fashion for "Estuary English", which meant "dropping all the vowels", was "ruinous" to Shakespeare. "If you cannot speak proper received English you end up with working-class parts. A few of the more successful ones will end up with parts in EastEnders and Coronation Street. They will not, however, get anything else."

Prunella Scales, 72, the stage and television actress famous for her role as Sybil Fawlty in the BBC comedy Fawlty Towers, said: "There is an inverted snobbery about posh English which we have to get away from. Drama schools need to have induction in posh English of all periods in exactly the same way that they teach rural and urban dialects.

"There is no social snobbery here, it is about the accuracy of playing a part. Anthony Hopkins was born with a Welsh accent, but he did not have a Welsh accent when he played King Lear. He used classical English which does not say anything about a person's background."

Patsy Rosenburg, the head of voice at Guildhall School of Music and Drama in London, agreed that well-spoken English was essential. "I have worked with writers who have had to rewrite sections of plays in another accent because the actor cast can't do it in received pronounciation," she said.

"We should not be against regional accents, but the thing has gone too far the other way. There are texts that can only be expressed properly with received pronounciation. The problem is a lot of schools have cut back on this sort of technical training.

"When I teach received pronounciation I give it credence alongside all the other accents. I would be in terrible trouble with a student, quite rightly, if I mocked one of their accents. But some students think it is quite all right to mock RP. I have to say to students, there are natural mother RP speakers who heard it in the womb."

Ronald Harwood, the Oscar-winning writer of The Pianist, said that the declining emphasis on standard English was "terrible". "If you have standard English you can work on any dialect that exists. If you only have the dialect you can hardly do anything," he said.

Mr Harwood said that drama schools had started to abandon standard English in the mid-1950s with the rise of Northern "kitchen sink" stars such as Sir Tom Courtney and Albert Finney.

The schools had failed to realise that those same stars were successful precisely because they were capable of speaking standard English. The problem of poor language skills is particularly acute among child stars, many of whom have limited vocabulary and grammar.

Julian Fellowes, the Oscar-winning writer and director, who has just written a stage production of Mary Poppins, said that falling education standards meant that casting children could be very difficult.

"I remember when we were casting The Prince and the Pauper a few years ago, we searched for stars in drama schools throughout the country. We ended up going to Dulwich Prep School where we found our star," he said.

"I think the worry is not regional accents, it is clarity of speech. There is a kind of sloppiness of speech, with children unable to understand anything they have not seen on television or a video game. There is a tremendous paucity of grammar because children have not been taught any basic vocabulary skills.

"It is all part of this notion that we should not make demands on children, that we should befriend them rather than teach them."

Suzan Harrison, the producer of ITV's new adaptation of Tom Brown's School Days, found her star at a boarding school after a search of drama schools failed. She said that the biggest problem for her casting team was the number of children using antipodean speech patterns.

"The funniest thing was the Australian intonation, which meant all their sentences went up at the end.

"They all do that and I think that is because they watch Australian soap operas such as Neighbours and Home and Away."
Damian   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 13:00 GMT
These are very interesting articles....thanks to the posters.

It must be very much a generational thing....those esteemed and well respected actresses (and actors) are of a certain age group and were at drama school in the days when their regional accents were drummed out of them and RP instilled in their place. Fortunately this was not to the degree of times before even their days of training, resulting in all those very old black and white films where the cut glass vowels and perfectly enunciated consonants are excruciating (or maybe just hilarious) to listen to now.

Prunella Scales (I didn't think she was THAT age...wow!) is a fantastic actress and I admire her. I have seen her perform live here in Edinburgh several times, including poetry reading...she speaks in such a way that you are spellbound with every syllable she utters and you can't help feeling great pride in our spoken language.

As a character actress she excels. I enjoyed her performance in the TV series (I bought the DVDs about a year ago) "Mapp and Lucia" in which she played Elizabeth Mapp supremely well.....set in a small exclusive seaside town in Sussex in 1930 it is centred around a battle of wits and "one-upmanship" (or "one-upwomanship" more like!) between these two refined and genteel ladies, Mapp herself and an unredeemable snob Lucia Lucas. Both try hard to out-shine each other in a whole succession of hilarious farcical situations.

The entire dialogue is in a beautiful style of English, probably reflecting the era.....1930s...and the gentility of the class of people in the South of England at that time. Behind this veneer of gentility, politeness and etiquette though, there is a constant simmering of malice and revenge which invariably comes to the surface.....all done in the best possible taste, of course, and with forced smiles all round!

The Mapp and Lucia books were written by E.F. Benson, from which the TV series was, of course, adapted. He died in 1940. The mythical town referred to was called Tilling, and there is now a flourishing Tilling Society, who meet regularly to celebrate the Mapp & Lucia books of E.F. Benson. They meet in and around the quaint and picturesque town of Rye, down there on the Sussex coast close to Romney Marsh, which is the twon the mythical Tilling was based on.

As I say, Mapp was played by Prunella Scales, Lucia by Geraldine McEwan and the ultra camp and rather effete Georgie by the late Nigel Hawthorne. All in impeccable 1930s style English. Not even the plumber or the road sweeper or the ladies' maids had any trace of Estuary in their accents at all!
Damian   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 13:21 GMT
Of course, most people are much more likely to be familar with Prunella Scales' character Sybil Fawlty, the long suffering wife of that frenetically paranoic Basil, the hotelier. His character was actually based on a real life person with identical tendencies and behavioural patterns and who ran a hotel in Torquay, in Devon. A real-life Fawlty Towers. People actually booked into this guy's hotel just for the perverse joy of being insulted and abused by him, such was his reputation. And so Basil was born, played by the incomparable John Cleese, with Prunella as poor old Sybil, all the while taking him in her stride and then apologising profusely to all the hotel guests who had been subjected to his manic behaviour.

I liked the way the hotel sign on the lawn outside had a different name each week...supposedly Fawlty Towers, but comically adapted to a similar combination of letters all mixed up, such as "Watery Fowls". That seemed to sum up loopy Basil.
Ben   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 16:13 GMT
I have to say that the panic over the death of RP seems a little silly. As an American, I've done several RP roles on stage, and have never found the dialect all that tricky. Then again, there's a good deal of linguistic evidence that suggests (believe it or not) that it's a bit easier for an American to learn RP than a Londoner, since American accents tend to have tighter vowels and dipthongs.

Regardless, anyone who has had fairly rigorous voice training in any English speaking drama school throughout the world would be able to pick up RP, or at least some very convincing form of it, without any problem. What I THINK these older actors may be picking up on is that in England there is not as much emphasis on classical training as there was in the old days.
Fredrik from Norway   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 22:37 GMT
"the ghastly Jonathan Ross"

With this adjective you just confirm the link between Queen's English and homosexuality!

Just a foreigner's perspective.
Damian   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 00:17 GMT
I can't stand Jonathan Woss at any pwice.....he weally is a pain to listen to.

Fwedwik.....as a foweigner what is your interpwetation of "Queen" in the context of your wesponse this forwum?
Damian   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 00:20 GMT
Sowwy!...."wesponse IN this forwum"
Fredrik from Norway   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 10:37 GMT
Queen's English = the English spoken by the Queen, prince Charles and other people who might use the word "ghastly"!
Fredrik from Norway   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 10:39 GMT
But I see there is a difference between really stiff upper lip Queen's English and the RP used in for example Fawlty Towers (which was a big hit in Norway, too!).
Steve K   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 15:08 GMT
I accept that our evaluation of different accents is subjective. I prefer the French spoken by French people, Northern or Southern, to the French spoken in Quebec, I prefer Castillian from Spain to that of south America and I definitely prefer the elegant English of what used to be called Oxford English or what is now called BBc English to the various forms of London or Estuary or Northern or other regional English accents. Full support to Duncan.
Fredrik from Norway   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 17:50 GMT
Really stiff upper-class Emglish may sound perfect in a Shakespeare play, but lacks so much English "jolliness" that it makes the speaker sound like a ghost.