Supermemo and the Mercy option

Minias   Tuesday, February 15, 2005, 17:45 GMT
Unfortunately I stopped the learning process for a few months. My collection contains about 4000 items. I'd like to continue working on it but what should I do first ? I know there's the Mercy option in the program but what about all these parameters connected with my learning process ? I'm afraid it may disturb the process so much that the Supermemo would collect wrong information about my memory in future and in consequence it would calculate repetitions spacing wrongly. In addition it may turn out so in a very long time and make me aware of all what I do is not what I expected. Maybe I should clear the process and start to learn my current collection from the beginning or maybe start a new one. I really don't know.

Could you please help me to make the right decision ?

Sorry for my poor English. I'm only at more or less pre-intermediate level and writing on the Forum for the first time.
Tom   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 11:37 GMT
How long did you use your collection before the break?
How many outstanding items are there?
Minias   Wednesday, February 16, 2005, 13:13 GMT
Hello Tom,
I used my collection for about a year before the break. There are 3400 outstanding items at the moment.
Tom   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 13:26 GMT
If you have 3,400 outstanding items out of 4,000, you should probably reset the collection and start over.
Minias   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 14:00 GMT
Thank you very much for advice. I'll certainly do what you suggested.
By the way, this is the best site for English learners I've ever seen on the Internet. That's it.
AE   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 14:28 GMT
to Minias:

Here are my recommendations :-P

Drink as much coffee as you can or as much coffee as you can find!
A day has 24 hours!
I can imagine your brain will still be open for new information after circa four days without sleep ...
(only joking)

As Tom mentioned, I would start anew, too!
But I think you don't have to delete all of your old items! I mean ... so much work ...
Why don't you just copy them step by step in your new collection ...
AE   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 14:31 GMT
(little mistake: ... copy them step by step INTO your ...)
Minias   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 20:48 GMT
to AE:

You're right ... so much work ... and that is why I'm not going to delete my old items. I will only remove my learning process by running 'Reset collection' option. It's the fastest way to start learning the same items again as it would be added there as quite new items (total itames = pending items).
Thank you for your help.
AE   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 21:11 GMT
Btw: I am working with SuperMemo, too! :)

May I ask you a question?!?! ... because 4000 items indicate that you have already been working for a long time with SuperMemo.

If I want to write a word in colour, I just have to highlight and to edit the word. No problem.

But:
*How to highlight several words at the same time in order to save time?*

Pressing and holding the CTRL key doesn't work!

(I know ... what a question! But I really have no idea ...)
Minias   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 22:28 GMT
I’ve been working with Supermemo for some time indeed but I don’t know the program so much as I’d like to.

If one wants to start learning an old collection from the beginning they needn't do anything with items individually. They can just use 'Reset collection' and the old collection will become in fact a new one. It is as one would add all old items again. All parameters connected with the learning process are cleared then. It means one has got a lot of items, starts learning them and the Supermemo analyse their learning ability from the beginning. Try that and look at ‘Tools/Statistics’ (make a data copy before of course).

There’s also a possibility that I haven’t understood your question. I’m still not good at English.
AE   Friday, February 18, 2005, 20:04 GMT
You have not understood my question! :)
Nevertheless, your English is good!

Okay ... I'll try to explain again:

You surely know that it is possible to write words in colour.
All I have to do is to mark and to edit the word.

My question:
*How to mark many words at the same time?*
Minias   Saturday, February 19, 2005, 12:45 GMT
OK, Maybe I've understood this time :-)

If we're still talking about Supermemo, I suppose you ask about marking items or branches (not words) while browsing your collection ('Contents' option). If it is so, I haven't found such possibility in Supermemo 2000 but it works in the version 2002 (Ctrl and Shift key). Try using templates to change representation of marked itmes then. What one could do with that further you should experiment on it. I've never done it.

... but if you mean marking words - say when it is exactly.
Tom   Saturday, February 19, 2005, 23:10 GMT
1. Hold the Shift key and move the cursor with your arrow keys.

or

2. Click somewhere within the text, hold your left mouse button, move your mouse pointer, release button.

Hope this helps.
Minias   Sunday, February 20, 2005, 13:59 GMT
Yes. Maybe this is the answer EA is looking for.
AE   Monday, February 21, 2005, 14:53 GMT
No, it is not the answer to my question.

I've already known what Tom tried to explain!

I'm going to search for an answer in the net.
Hopefully I'll discover something usable.

Of course I'll let you know when I find an answer :)