smallville slang

rich7   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 04:07 GMT
I just heard this, in the series of the town where superman allegedly grew up. After been tossed by an invisible foe, Clark kent heard a voice saying: "You gotta stick those landings you dork"

Do you happen to know what the heck the invisible guy was trying to utter?
Invisible guy   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 05:09 GMT
In other words, after being hurtled through the air: "you have to land properly, you idiot"
rich 7   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 05:41 GMT
thanks for the compliments... lol lol ..lol
rich7   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 05:42 GMT
Or it was just the translation of the phrase, in which case I apologize.
Ed   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 13:44 GMT
I can't believe anyone is watching that piece of crap :-)
a-v loser   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 13:57 GMT
I'd watch it if it weren't for Gilligan's island :P
Deborah   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 17:26 GMT
The expression "to stick the landing" comes from gymnastics. When a gymnast finishes an aerial move, he or she is supposed to land securely on both feet without taking any extra steps. If you watch gymnastic competitions, you will hear English-speaking commentators use this phrase.
Cro Magnon   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 19:12 GMT
"I can't believe anyone is watching that piece of crap :-) "

It's actually not bad - compared to the other pieces of crap that are on TV these days. :)
rich7   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 20:27 GMT
gee, debby thanks a ton, I hinted that could be jargon.
And as for you my friend Ed, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, how about that.
Ed   Thursday, February 17, 2005, 22:35 GMT
<<And as for you my friend Ed, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, how about that. >>
Yea, ok...
Boy   Friday, February 18, 2005, 14:47 GMT
my query is somewhat related to this thread - so iam not starting a new one.

- what does "cleaning his pipelines" mean? I heard it on E! channel - the conversation was about the actor Sean where i actually heard this above expression.

- what does "wine& dine" mean? I heard it a couple of times on rickii show - the show is related about love relationships among gays and lesbians.

- As far as I understand - homosexual males are called "gays" and homosexual females are called "lesbians." but what I didn't understand in yesterday's programme was " a girl was being addressed as GAY."
My question is if the girl can be addressed as "gay."

Thanks in advance.
Ed   Friday, February 18, 2005, 15:11 GMT
"Gay" refers to anyone who's a homosexual, no matter their sex.
Tiffany   Friday, February 18, 2005, 21:14 GMT
to "wine and dine" someone means to court them - as in take them on dates regularly because of personal interest.
Bill   Friday, February 18, 2005, 21:28 GMT
>> what does "cleaning his pipelines" mean? I heard it on E! channel - the conversation was about the actor Sean where i actually heard this above expression.

To clean someone's pipe is a euphemism for giving someone a handjob, blow job, or if you cleaned your own pipe, masturbation.