DANISH,NORWEGIAN AND SWEDISH

Sander   Tuesday, March 01, 2005, 18:46 GMT
Ambrose,

Do I sense rivalry between the scadanavian nations ?
Fredrik from Norway   Tuesday, March 01, 2005, 23:35 GMT
How do you know that a Swede has used your computer?
There is correction fluid on the screen :-))

1905 - 2005 - 100 years since the abolishment of the Swedish-Norwegian uinion!!! Hooraah!

(And don't mention that my great-grandfather was a Swede!)
Sander   Wednesday, March 02, 2005, 13:50 GMT
Fredrik from Norway,

(And don't mention that my great-grandfather was a Swede!)

Was he ?

And now were telling jokes...

~
A Belgian is walking trough the mountains of Austria,when suddenly he spots a herd of sheep with their shepard.He sneaks up closer and starts counting the sheep.1,2,3...126!.He stands upright and start to walk towards the shepard and says;"If I can guess how many sheep there are in you herd,may I choose one?" "Sure says" the shepard;"though your never going to guess it!" There are...126 sheep in your herd! the belgian says.I can't believe it !shouts the shepard,"well you guessed it you can choose a sheep... The Belgian picks up a sheep and start walking again.Suddenly the shepard shouts to him "Come back please!"The Belgian walks back with the sheep on his shoulder.The shepard says "If I can guess from wich country you are,could I get my dog back? ".
~
Fredrik from Norway   Wednesday, March 02, 2005, 23:26 GMT
LOL
Yeah, he was. But the area he came from, Blekinge, was a part of Denmark until 1658.
Sander   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 15:55 GMT
Ah....ofcourse Blekinge....I should have known....

By the way,where in Norway do you live ?
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 16:19 GMT
I study at the university in Bergen (western Norway). But I come from Sandnes (close to Stavanger) in the province of Rogaland in soutwestern Norway.

And you, on which dyke do you live? Afsluitdijk?
Sander   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 17:38 GMT
Hahahaha,

The afsluitdijk.....

To be precise I live on "D.69nw MP -5" wich means

"(D)yke 69" (number of dyke,in province)
North-west (the angle of the dyk)
MP means Maria-Polder (the name of the polder I live in)
And "-5" means that at the bottom of the dyke its 5 meters below sealevel.

Simple isn't it ?

I live in the south-west of the Netherlands...In a small village.
Sander   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 17:40 GMT
By the way,

Nobody lives on the afsluitdijk Its just a big (very big) dyke with a highway ontop of it...
Joe   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 19:07 GMT
I have to learn either swedish, norwegian or danish for my job which one do you think i should choose ?
Bridgedine   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 19:19 GMT
You know it's really funny reading all of your comments on the scandinavian languages and people, but I'd just like to say that between Norway and Sweden there is no real hatred like many would like to say...it's more like...the way you love a brother or sister! We bug each other with those smart arse remarks but if you put a dane, swede and norwegian in America or anywhere else except Scandinavia I can promise you that they'll stick together as if glued.
And it is a lot harder for a swede to understand norwegian than it is for a norwegian to understand swedish because they're not exposed to norwegian television like they are in norway. Just thought I'd tell you my point of view. cheers
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 19:19 GMT
Sander:
Ok, so in Zeeland?
I know about the Afsluitdijk, I have driven across it. It was strange and cool!

Joe:
Swedish - 8 million speakers
Danish - 5 million speakers
Norwegian - 4,5 million speakers

So, in order to be able to speak to maximum number of people you should choose Swedish.

Danish has a strange and difficult pronounciation, so I would warn you against Danish with Danish pronounciation.

But if you learn Danish with Norwegian pronounciation, then that would be almost the same as Norwegian (bokmål). the vocabulary is almost identical.

Norwegian is the language in the middle, with easy access to understanding Danish and Swedish, but Norwegian has much more dialects than Danish and Swedish, so it might be difficult to understand all Norwegians effortless.

None of the languages are more difficult than the others, except danish pronounciation.

A German friend of mine had learned Danish, but spoke it with German pronounciation and that made her speak almost Norwegian.
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 19:22 GMT
Bridgedine:
You are 100 % correct!

We call the Swedes "söta bror" = sweet/cute brother!
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 19:26 GMT
The Nordic family:
Sweden - big, arrogant brother
Norway - mischevious little brother
Denmark - sexy sister
Finland - strange, alcoholic cousin
Iceland - the small, absent cousin who never visits beacause he is so busy
Sander   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 19:42 GMT
=>Sander:
Ok, so in Zeeland?<=

No, "Noord" Brabant...

How did you pass the afsluitdijk ??? by car or bicycle?
I know it feels strange you surrounded by water in the middle,and its salt on one side and fresh on the other side.
Fredrik from Norway   Thursday, March 03, 2005, 19:50 GMT
On car....on the way to la belle France!

Came from Germany, stopped for bread in a tiny Frisian village, crossed the Afsluitdijk, didn´t want to drive into Amsterdam, spend a night in Den Haag, had a look at Madurodam and practized pronouncing Scheveningen and then went off to Brussel, looked at the Grand Place, stopped for a pee in southern Belgium and then to France!

Driving through Friesland it was funny to read in the guidebook: Here they speak a different language because they are so isolated...and while you read that you had moved on to Holland!